Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Rebranding advice

• 1.  Rebranding advice

Posted Nov 27, 2017 08:41
    Hi all,

My organization, Handicap International, is rebranding in January. We'll have a new name, new logo, new website, etc. Our mission will stay the same.

If you've been through a rebrand with your organization, I'd love to pick your brain! I'm especially interested in talking through social accounts and how to move them/change the name without losing followers.

If you can spare 20 minutes, let me know!

Thanks,
    Michele
    mlunsford@handicap-international.us

------------------------------
    Michele Lunsford
    Handicap International US
    Silver Spring, MD
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Rebranding advice

Posted Nov 28, 2017 09:21
    The socials can be a huge challenge.  I recently tried to change the name for a podcast that I run with a friend and ended up having to start a new page.  From what I can tell, any changes in name with followers over 1000, Facebook will more than likely reject.  There is an appeals process but again depending on what your re-branding is going to be, they may still reject it.

If you do have to start a brand new page, drop me a line and I'm happy to talk through what I did to try and recapture likes from the previous page to the new one.

Joe Pallikkathayil
    Business Development & Fundraising Manager
    Missouri State Teachers Association

• 3.  RE: Rebranding advice

Posted Nov 28, 2017 15:22
    I'm pretty sure you can start the new page with the new name and then merge the old page into the new one, etc. Facebook chat support can be pretty helpful if you get the right person. Good luck!

Emily Honstein Stanton
    Communications Officer
    Aga Khan Foundation USA
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Rebranding advice

Posted Nov 28, 2017 12:02

Hi Michele!

I am assuming here that you will have a strategic plan, a communications plan and a marketing plan to work from, yes? Often a re-branding runs in tandem with a fundraising/marketing campaign. These are implemented through social media networks and should gain followers with a fairly good retention rate, not lose followers. Especially since you can just change the profile and not open a new account.

Ariel Jensen-Vargas
    Digital Strategist at Fountain House College Re-Entry

MPA Nonprofit Management candidate
    Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, Baruch College
    Long Island City NY United States

• 5.  RE: Rebranding advice

Posted Nov 29, 2017 07:57
    We just had our first re-branding meeting, so I'm pretty interested in this conversation.

Colin Boyle
    IT Director
    Manatee Community Action Agency
    Bradenton, FL

• 6.  RE: Rebranding advice

Posted Nov 30, 2017 13:07
    We are currently finishing up a two-year long process of rebranding and getting ready to roll out in January. If you want to check in about our experience feel free.

Kara Brinkman-Addams
    Office Manager
    BRING Recycling
    Eugene, OR

• 7.  RE: Rebranding advice

Posted Nov 30, 2017 01:10
    I've rebranded two organizations in a row, and am happy to make myself available to fellow NTEN members for short conversations about it. Please reach out if that would be helpful. I'm at genieg@anitab.org, and 510-703-1104.

Genie Gratto
    Senior Director, Marketing Communications & PR
    Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology
    Oakland, CA