Discuss

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Nonprofit Fundraising Software Research

• 1.  Nonprofit Fundraising Software Research

Posted Jun 05, 2018 09:36

Hi, my name is Allie.  I'm currently working on a project where I'm researching nonprofit fundraising software.  I'm trying to learn about and understand the different types, features, and other aspects of the various fundraising software as well as other general information on nonprofit fundraising and operation.  Any responses to the questions below would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

1. What is the best fundraising software for nonprofits that's currently out there?
    2. What do most nonprofits use for fundraising software?
    3. What things are nonprofits doing well and poorly with the use of their software?
    4. What does fundraising software do well and poorly?
    5. How effective is fundraising software?
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Nonprofit Fundraising Software Research

Posted Jun 05, 2018 19:29
    Hi Allie,

Can you tell us what you mean by "fundraising software"? I've seen that term used to refer to online giving sites, run/walk/ride team software, peer-to-peer fundraising software, various text and mobile apps, Constituent Relationship Management (CRM)/donor management systems, and more.

Can you also tell us why you're researching this topic? Are you a grad student, nonprofit employee, software vendor, entrepreneur, consultant, investor, or...?

As far as your questions about "What is the best fundraising software for nonprofits", I would dispute anyone who says there is a single "best" solution -- except in cases where there's only one solution. The answer always depends on functional and technical requirements, internal capacity, timing, and costs.

------------------------------
    Robert

Robert L. Weiner Consulting
    San Francisco, CA
    415/643-8955
    robert@rlweiner.com
    www.rlweiner.com
    Twitter: @robert_weiner

Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions

• 3.  RE: Nonprofit Fundraising Software Research

Posted Jun 06, 2018 10:37
    Hi Allie,

These are really broad questions, maybe even too broad to be answered meaningfully. My company tracks well over 100 different products that support nonprofit fundraising. There's general donor management software, online fundraising platforms, CRMs, and more. The nonprofit sector is huge and varied, so there are also specialized packages for different types of organizations, and many integrated offerings that combine fundraising functionality with marketing, finance, operations management, case management, and more.

As to effectiveness, the quality and capabilities of the software itself is only one (small) piece of the puzzle. People, policies, culture, process, investment, training, clarity, resourcing and alignment between product and purpose will have an enormous impact.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 4.  RE: Nonprofit Fundraising Software Research

Posted Jun 06, 2018 18:49

+1000 to what Robert and Isaac said. 

One place to start, though, is a couple of reports:

* Idealware's report from last year on donor management software: https://www.idealware.org/reports/consumers-guide-low-cost-donor-management-systems/

* Cathexis's report on the peer-to-peer landscape: http://cathexispartners.com/the-peer-to-peer-fundraising-technology-landscape/

Even if you are approaching the topic not as someone looking for this kind of software, it will give you a sense of the range of some of the software available under the broad umbrella of fundraising. 

--
    Lisa Jervis
    Principal
    Information Ecology: Strategic technology for progressive organizations
    https://iecology.org/

My pronouns are she/her.

Want to send me encrypted email? My public key is available at https://ecl.gy/lj-gpg.

On 2018-06-06 7:37 am, Isaac Shalev via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network wrote:

Hi Allie, These are really broad questions, maybe even too broad to be answered meaningfully. My company tracks well over 100 different products... -posted to the "Discuss" community

Discuss

Re: Nonprofit Fundraising Software Research
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Isaac Shalev
    Jun 6, 2018 10:37 AM
    Isaac Shalev
    Hi Allie,

These are really broad questions, maybe even too broad to be answered meaningfully. My company tracks well over 100 different products that support nonprofit fundraising. There's general donor management software, online fundraising platforms, CRMs, and more. The nonprofit sector is huge and varied, so there are also specialized packages for different types of organizations, and many integrated offerings that combine fundraising functionality with marketing, finance, operations management, case management, and more.

As to effectiveness, the quality and capabilities of the software itself is only one (small) piece of the puzzle. People, policies, culture, process, investment, training, clarity, resourcing and alignment between product and purpose will have an enormous impact.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are subscribed to the Discuss community as lisa@iecology.org. To change your notifications, go to Community Notifications. To unsubscribe this community, go to Unsubscribe.

NOTE: Do not forward. Links in this message are connected to your account. Clicking links in this message will log you into your account automatically.

• 5.  RE: Nonprofit Fundraising Software Research

Posted Jun 07, 2018 08:31
    Firefly Partners released their "Nonprofit Guide to Online Engagement Tools" at the end of 2017 that may be helpful in your assessment of fundraising software.
    http://www.fireflypartners.com/resources/download-our-nonprofit-guide-to-online-engagement-tools/

Dan Quirk
    Director of Marketing
    SalsaLabs.com