Discuss

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

On-site badge printing

• 1.  On-site badge printing

Posted Feb 07, 2019 09:18

Hi all!

In the crucial last days before our member events, my office spends a good number of hours printing, separating, and collating badges for event attendees. We then carry those with us to the event and marry them on site with ribbons, gifts, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with a service that prints badges on site? How does it impact welcome desk wait times? How do attendees like it? How painful is the process of getting the data into their system?

Thanks for any insight.

-Greg

------------------------------
    Greg Galloway (he/him)
    White Plains, NY
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: On-site badge printing

Posted Feb 07, 2019 10:56
    Hello Greg,

Our organization utilizes Envoy (www.envoy.com) and we really like it. We use an iPad for sign in and the software allows for great event participant tracking. This is probably one of the best tech purchases we've invested in.

Patrice Powell
    Turn Around Agenda
    Dallas, TX

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: On-site badge printing

Posted Feb 08, 2019 07:21
    I have been a volunteer and attendee at events where they used Cvent for printing badges on site and it was super easy to use as well as make edits to what was on the badge (name, title, etc.)  However, I was not involved with the backend so can't answer on that aspect.  NTEN does on site badge printing for NTC, but I am not sure which service they use.

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Consultant, Shift and Scaffold
    Baltimore, MD
    www.shiftandscaffold.com
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: On-site badge printing

Posted Feb 08, 2019 11:55
    We don't do very many badged events, but have a similar process to you for our RSVP'd attendees. To capture the few unexpected guests (typically no more than a dozen or so) we just bring along a small laser printer and notebook running an Avery label maker program called Design Print. We use a unique template for each event, and just need to enter their name and select the next available tag on the sheet of labels. The only complication is remembering to work up from the bottom of the page.

It's not elegant, but it it is cheap!

The last time I looked, Avery no longer offers the program, instead forcing you to use their online service, but if you are interested I still have a copy of the file and can Dropbox it.

Geoff

Geoffrey Pimlatt
    Senior Manager, Information Systems
    Western University Students' Council
    London, ON

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: On-site badge printing

Posted Feb 08, 2019 11:59
    We use ExpoLogic for on site badges and we love it. It has saved us a lot of staff time and you can add/modify badges on the fly. It has cut down on check in times and our attendees really like the new technology. ExpoLogic has an API so if your database can integrate the process becomes automated.

Zane Mullins
    Glen Allen, VA

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: On-site badge printing

Posted Feb 11, 2019 16:03
    Edited by Drew Pizzolato Feb 11, 2019 16:07
    We also use ExpoLogic for the NTC. At least we have the last few years while I've worked here. It's integrated with our netForum AMS. That's about the extent of my technical knowledge on the topic! @Karl Hedstrom could provide more detail if it's useful.
    I've been happy working with ExpoLogic, and their onsite staff has been super helpful. I'm not sure if there are products & services that are a lighter lift than what we do: conference badges & ticketing for ~2300 people with AMS integration, equipment rental, and on site staffing.
    --
    Drew Pizzolato (pronouns: he/him)
    Digital Inclusion Campaign Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8746
    nten.org @NTENorg @verilyandrew

Join us at the 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference in Portland, OR, in March. Members save $300.

Tech Accelerate