Discuss

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Getting additional donated Salesforce licenses

• 1.  Getting additional donated Salesforce licenses

Posted 19 days ago
    I am wondering if anyone has tried (or heard of someone) getting additional donated Salesforce licenses from Salesforce. If so, how did you ask? How difficult was it?

Any help appreciated.

-Joshua

------------------------------
    Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com

• 2.  RE: Getting additional donated Salesforce licenses

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Joshua,

I have tried asking myself, and over years I have come across various Salesforce.org folks whom I have checked this with. Since licensing discussions are handled by account executives, it's a hard one to pull off.

I have heard about one organization ("heard" - never met) - who have a Salesforce Sales hotshot among their board of directors and with the help of this person, they have managed to get many more than 10 free licenses. So looks like it works but you need to have someone weighty to make it happen on your side.

On this topic, you might want to look into Communities license -- if it suits your purpose; it has a couple of pricing options that could potentially make it affordable.

Hope this helps.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 3.  RE: Getting additional donated Salesforce licenses

Posted 18 days ago
    The first org that I went with Salesforce at asked for 50 licenses instead of just ten and got them, no sweat.

Three things:

1. It was in 2006
    2. The Salesforce Foundation had about five employees
    3. The Foundation was a largely independent entity. These days, the Foundation is more like a company division and is subject to sales goals that they weren't required to meet in 2006.

I imagine that it would be very difficult to get an increase through an account rep. Better shot is to see if there's a grant that could be made/requested.

Peter Campbell
    Technology Solutions Provider
    Washington DC
    https://techcafeteria.com

• 4.  RE: Getting additional donated Salesforce licenses

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi Joshua,

As Peter mentioned, Salesforce.org has transformed significantly into a well-managed social enterprise, which means that they don't just give away extra licenses outside of a managed process. One option, however, is the Tech Grant program which can give additional licenses for a set number of years on a case-by-case basis. Applicants who are accepted to this program will have regular calls with an Account Manager to make sure they are being well-used and will coach the organization towards independence on fully-paid licenses (at nonprofit discounts) at the expiration of the grant term. The best person to talk to about applying for a tech grant is Salesforce.org's Manager of Customer Philanthropy Carmen Dowell: Carmen Dowell - Manager, Customer Philanthropy - Salesforce.org | LinkedIn.

Glad to help,

Lisa

Lisa Wallace
    VP Business Development
    Fionta