Drupal

last person joined: 7 days ago 

If you work in an organization using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you. If you work in a nonprofit using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you! Stuck on something? Have a question? Drupal experts are on hand to answer questions! You don't need to be a member of NTEN to participate in the monthly calls — feel free to invite colleagues and spread the word.

Backdrop CMS

• 1.  Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 04, 2019 13:28
    I'm curious if there are any folks in this community who are using (or interested in) Backdrop CMS. It has a particular focus for small to medium sized nonprofits (and businesses). I see it as fitting into a sweet spot between Drupal and Wordpress. I wrote a little introduction here some months back. (Since then, the ability to update core code via the admin UI has been included).

Also: please let me know if this forum is not an appropriate place to discuss Backdrop -- I did a search and saw a few posts that mentioned it over the years so assume it's not verboten. And it is, after all, a fork of Drupal. Disclosure: I work for a nonprofit that has primarily transitioned to Backdrop from Drupal and am a bit of an enthusiast, hoping especially to see nonprofit uptake of Backdrop increase. I contribute to Backdrop in a variety of ways.

------------------------------
    Laryn Bakker
    Director, CEDC Office
    Stuart Center
    Washington, DC
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 04, 2019 13:41
    We at the St Johns River to Sea Loop Alliance  are very interested in Backdrop CMS.  I'm surprised we haven't heard much about it lately.  We are a VERY small (micro) all-volunteer nonprofit dedicated to supporting a developing 260-mile paved bike trail in Florida.  We do all our own web development (River2SeaLoop.org) and GIS work and tech support (and everything else related to running a nonprofit) and keeping up with the deluge of Drupal 8 updates and security issues is nearly impossible.   We keep the site pretty basic and we'd be interested in figuring out how to switch to Backdrop if possible. Please keep us in the loop.

Maggie Ardito
    President
    St Johns River-to-Sea Loop Alliance

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 04, 2019 14:04
    My organization isn't currently using Backdrop but I think it has great potential to meet many of the needs of nonprofits, especially as Drupal grows more and more in an "enterprise" direction. I'm really supportive of it and would love to see the Backdrop community grow. 

= Ruby

-- 
    Ruby Sinreich
    Web Developer & Senior Technologist
    MomsRising.org
    MamasConPoder.org
    pronouns: she/her/hers

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 04, 2019 14:09
    @Maggie Ardito - it sounds likely that Backdrop would be a great fit. I recommend you (or your primary web person) introduce themselves and pose any particular questions you may have in the Backdrop Forum or the live Gitter chat.

Laryn Bakker
    Director, CEDC Office
    Stuart Center
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 07, 2019 15:20
    Hello everyone!
    Chiming in here as Jen Lampton is one of my best friends. She's a lovely human and the co-founder of Backdrop. They take on projects but also have a network of freelancers they call upon.

Feel free to reach out to Jen directly from her website https://backdropcms. org/home or just email her: jen@jeneration.com

Kanopi Studios is so excited to be back at NTC again this year! It's one of our favorite conferences because we love seeing how nonprofits are using technology to further their critical missions. We've made a Spotify list for all the NTC people so you can listen to great Portland bands on your way to the conference! We'll be at booth #316 if you want to say hello and tell us which song was your favorite.

See you there!

Anne Stefanyk
    CEO & Drupal/WordPress Strategist
    Kanopi Studios
    San Francisco, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 08, 2019 13:38
    Edited by Corey Brown Mar 08, 2019 15:55
    Hi Everyone,

Corey chiming in on behalf of the co-moderating team. We are very pleased that there is an interest in Backdrop. As we believe that it's a natural extension of Drupal (as Laryn points out), we don't have an issue with it being talked about in this forum. In fact, we want to foster an environment for it to be discussed and flourish. That being said, it should be noted that the Drupal CoP will be best used for discussing its pros and cons, and not so much a place for in-depth technical issues related to the CMS. Instead, Backdrop's forum should be utilized for those needs, at least in the interim. If there ends up being a huge push toward adopting Backdrop, we can discuss with NTEN about a possible dedicated forum and community for it. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Co-Mod Team

Corey Brown
    Web Resource Coordinator
    CLINIC
    Silver Spring, MD

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 08, 2019 14:52
    I certainly hope we can continue to discuss Backdrop in this space. It's quite relevant and of interest to many nonprofits using Drupal. In fact, I'm realizing we should have put together a session about it for the NTC Preconferece! *smacks head*

If Laryn or others would like lead a discussion or short talk about Backdrop, please come to our Drupal Community Breakouts, which will be at 11am on Tuesday.

= Ruby

Ruby Sinreich
    Web Developer & Senior Technologist
    MomsRising.org

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Backdrop CMS

Posted Mar 08, 2019 15:28
    Thanks, Ruby! Unfortunately I am not able to attend NTC this year. 😢 But I think your idea is a great one, and if not this year, let's plan ahead and make sure there is a session at a future NTC!

(And I'm glad to know that it's acceptable to discuss Backdrop in this forum. Thanks for that response, Corey!)

Laryn Bakker
    Director, CEDC Office
    Stuart Center
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate