Drupal

last person joined: 6 days ago 

If you work in an organization using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you. If you work in a nonprofit using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you! Stuck on something? Have a question? Drupal experts are on hand to answer questions! You don't need to be a member of NTEN to participate in the monthly calls — feel free to invite colleagues and spread the word.

End of Life for Drupal 7 - Nov. 2021

• 1.  End of Life for Drupal 7 - Nov. 2021

Posted Sep 12, 2018 11:00
    Hey folks,

Important information from Dries this morning about the support/release timeline for Drupal 7, 8, and 9.
    https://dri.es/drupal-7-8-and-9

The big takeaway for anybody still hanging out on Drupal 7 (like me) is that we have until November 2021 -- then Drupal 7 will no longer be supported.

There will be a paid long-term-support option if you get stuck, but you probably don't want that to be your Plan A.  So, if you haven't already started having the upgrade/redesign conversation with your org management, you should probably start soon.

Jess

------------------------------
    Jess Snyder
    Senior Manager, Web Systems, Digital Media | Digital Media
    jsnyder@weta.org | 703-998-2002 | @jesseves

WETA Public Television and Classical WETA
    3939 Campbell Avenue | Arlington, VA 22206
    www.weta.org | facebook.com/wetatvfm | @wetatvfm
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: End of Life for Drupal 7 - Nov. 2021

Posted Sep 12, 2018 13:31
    Thank you, Jess! This is very important for us to know. 

= Ruby

--
    Ruby Sinreich
    pronouns: she/her

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: End of Life for Drupal 7 - Nov. 2021

Posted Sep 12, 2018 13:38
    Actually upon reading Dries's post (why is this information not on drupal.org?) I notice something even more important: Drupal *8* will also be EOL at November 2021 as well! That's going to be a real pain the ass.

For the many organizations like mine that are still using Drupal 7, that will mean we have to go through 2 entire site rebuilds in the next 3 years! Or we could just skip D8 entirely, but that doesn't seem feasible. With so many contrib modules lagging behind for D8, I can't imagine D9 will be ready for prime time any time soon. 

Am I missing something here? This seems really awful. 

= Ruby

--
    Ruby Sinreich
    pronouns: she/her

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: End of Life for Drupal 7 - Nov. 2021

Posted Sep 12, 2018 13:48
    Hi Ruby,

The secret of D9 is that it's really just the next iteration of D8 - it's not going to be a complete rewrite like D8 or D7 or earlier major versions were. The plan is that it's going to drop deprecated APIs, and update 3rd party dependencies (like Symfony) - and not much else. In fact, the goal is to allow contrib modules that don't use any deprecated API to be compatible with both D8 and D9, without needing to have two separate versions of the contrib module (like we have now for D7 and D8).

So, updating from D8 to D9, should be closer to updating from D8.5 to D8.6. And updating from D7 to D9, should be pretty much the same as updating from D7 to D8. So, this announcement shouldn't make life any harder for anyone who's already on track to update to D8 before November 2021!

That said, updating from D7 to D8 (or D9) is still a big investment, so I fully understand that some organizations won't be able to manage it before the D7 EOL. My company, myDropWizard, has been providing Drupal 6 Long-Term Support (and will continue to do so for the forseeable future :-)) and we plan to provide Drupal 7 Long-Term Support too.

Thanks,
    David

David Snopek
    myDropWizard, Inc.
    Milwaukee, WI

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: End of Life for Drupal 7 - Nov. 2021

Posted Sep 14, 2018 11:14
    Hey Everyone,
    I wrote up a summary of what I learned about the Drupal 7 and 8 end-of-life announcement from Damien McKenna on his contrib call yesterday. There's a link to his presentation in my post, too, if you want to dive deeper. 

I hope it's helpful. 

Happy Friday! 

Johanna

Johanna Bates
    Technical Director, Principal
    Twitter: @hanabel

Tech Accelerate