Drupal

last person joined: one month ago 

If you work in an organization using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you. If you work in a nonprofit using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you! Stuck on something? Have a question? Drupal experts are on hand to answer questions! You don't need to be a member of NTEN to participate in the monthly calls — feel free to invite colleagues and spread the word.

Drupal - Blackbaud sync?

• 1.  Drupal - Blackbaud sync?

Posted Sep 13, 2018 11:48
    Hi Drupal community peeps -

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully created a seamless, immediate data sync process from information submitted on a Drupal site that then needs to go into Blackbaud CRM. Working with a client now who is solving for this with a daily export of their data (happens every 24-hours). This is primarily to address new email signups which we'd like to enroll into a welcome series (along with other communication strategies); but this is currently not possible for them with the way their data is "flowing" to the CRM which is also their email service provider.

I know many have expressed frustrations with Blackbaud's CRM and Email service; but this isn't a platform that will be changing for this client anytime soon. If you've unlocked the secret, I'd love to have some insights! Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Natania LeClerc
    Senior Digital Engagement Strategist
    ThinkShout, Inc.
    Portland, OR
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Drupal - Blackbaud sync?

Posted Sep 13, 2018 12:27
    Natania, I'm going to assume your client is using Drupal 7.

I haven't done this with Blackbaud, but with Convio I was able to use their API to automatically insert anybody who filled out a Webform (and met certain conditions) into the Convio CRM and add them to any subscriptions/groups at that time.  This is possible using the webform_submission_presave() hook, which allows you to alter submissions before they're saved to the database.  I just stepped in there, extracted the data I needed, sent it to Convio, and then let Webform continue on with what it was doing.

If Blackbaud has an API, you should be able to do something similar.

If your client is on Drupal 8, it should be even easier, as I understand the D8 version of Webform has a lot of that functionality out of the box.

Jess

Jess Snyder
    Senior Manager, Web Systems, Digital Media | Digital Media
    jsnyder@weta.org | 703-998-2002 | @jesseves

WETA Public Television and Classical WETA
    3939 Campbell Avenue | Arlington, VA 22206
    www.weta.org | facebook.com/wetatvfm | @wetatvfm

• 3.  RE: Drupal - Blackbaud sync?

Posted Sep 14, 2018 12:19
    Hey Jess! Yes they're on D7; Convio is a whole different ball game :) I believe they are using Blackbaud Net Community or similar tool that is purely within the Blackbaud CRM. To be fair, the last time I used any of those tools, BBNC was the most unintuitive and least user-friendly. Segmentation and other basic actions required for strategic marketing were such a huge lift to make happen. It's possible they've improved those tools, but if they have, my client is unaware and lacks he bandwidth to explore...that's why I'm trying to help em out.

Sounds promising though, if there is a D8 solution that perhaps they've developed something similar for D7 or we could try to figure something out at least! Thanks again Jess!

Natania LeClerc
    Senior Digital Engagement Strategist
    ThinkShout, Inc.
    Portland, OR