Drupal

last person joined: 13 days ago 

If you work in an organization using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you. If you work in a nonprofit using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you! Stuck on something? Have a question? Drupal experts are on hand to answer questions! You don't need to be a member of NTEN to participate in the monthly calls — feel free to invite colleagues and spread the word.

Drupal Day at the #18NTC

• 1.  Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Feb 27, 2018 10:57
    Greetings Drupal friends!

ThinkShout is bringing back Drupal Day for the NTC in NOLA. We're glad to hear many of you are interested in the content and want to know more about it!

To start, here's the event page and schedule. Drupal Day is open to all levels of experience -- from novice to seasoned expert. Session content will cover a wide range as well, from the more technical to project planning to strategy. But you can check out the aforementioned schedule for those specifics :)

We're still putting the finishing touches on the agenda, including the possibility of some additional speaker opportunities in the form of lightning talks. If this is of interest to you please reach out to me at natania.leclerc@thinkshout.com. Feel free to send any questions as well or just reply to this thread!

------------------------------
    Natania LeClerc
    Senior Digital Engagement Strategist
    ThinkShout, Inc.
    Portland, OR
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Feb 28, 2018 10:01
    Thanks for sharing this information, Natania! Many of us have been eagerly awaiting this agenda and offering to help out with programming for the last couple of months. While I appreciate the effort that ThinkShout as a sponsor has put into this, I would love for this to be more of a community effort - like Drupal is!

For me to pitch this event to my CTO (as I have been trying to do), there needs to be a wider range of speakers. Otherwise he will look at this and assume the whole day is an informercial for one company. There are so many resources available, especially through this community of practice right here. It's hard to understand why there wasn't an open call for speakers like WordPress Day and CiviCRM Days are doing.

Thanks for your hard work on this! I hope to see you in NOLA.

= Ruby

Ruby Sinreich
    Web Developer & Senior Technologist
    MomsRising.org

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Mar 01, 2018 19:03

Hi Ruby, thanks for reaching out.

We have always been (and continue to be) major supporters of the Drupal community. We love the enthusiasm and energy individual members bring to the community, and we're committed to giving back to the community by contributing modules and by sharing the experience and expertise of our team at events like the NTC. The passion of the open source community at large allows us all to collaborate and create innovative solutions for organizations such as those attending the NTC.

As the Drupal Day sponsor and the organizer of this event, we want to curate a day of helpful and high-quality sessions that will enable attendees to do their jobs well and fulfill their missions. Historically the approach to curating Drupal Day has been to partner with other leaders working at the intersection of nonprofits and Drupal as co-sponsors. These co-sponsors contributed content to the day's agenda and helped shape the event. This year, we were all presented with the unique challenge of having to decide between DrupalCon and the NTC. As we began our planning and outreach, many of our agency partners were faced with difficult decision of how to allocate their resources with these two competing events happening within the same week. In the absence of many of our agency partners, we invited our nonprofit partners to help enrich the content for the day by talking about how Drupal has empowered them to create impact.

We've heard your feedback about looking for more community-driven content. We do have space in our current agenda for community members to contribute lightning talks to this year's event. In addition, there will also be a room dedicated to un-conference style sessions to allow attendees the flexibility to discuss and collaborate on the things that they are passionate about. That said, with just a month before the conference and our nonprofit partners confirmed, it's not possible for us to significantly change this year's breakout agenda.

If you are interested in speaking at Drupal Day and sharing your expertise with community, we would welcome your submission for a lightning talk.

Natania LeClerc
    ThinkShout, Inc.
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Mar 01, 2018 19:24
    With respect, I think the reaction was to all of the ThinkShout
    presenters, not to the nonprofit presenters.

I'm a big fan of ThinkShout, but it would have been nice to see more
    presenters from more agencies (such as the many who call in on a monthly
    basis to the Drupal CoP call) involved in this process, and presenting
    as well.

I think having nonprofits themselves present is a GREAT idea -- thank
    you for sharing these partners with the wider community! I know in the
    past those presentations have been some of the most valuable of the
    whole day.

--ivan

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Mar 01, 2018 23:45
    Sleight-of-Hand Studios would have loved to participate in Drupal day, as we are regularly on the monthly call. But we also will be at DrupalCon.

We were very disappointed that the schedules for these two great events collided, and I'm sure Think Shout is finding it hard to get commitments from others like ourselves.

If the scheduling works for next year, we'd be more than happy if you called on us to help plan and participate.

Have a great conference! You can't beat New Orleans!
    --
    Dori Kelner, Managing Partner
    Sleight-of-Hand Studios

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Mar 02, 2018 10:03

I feel a bit awkward chiming in here since I'm one of those folks who have opted for DrupalCon this year, but I have thoughts. (And just to be clear, these are my own personal opinions – I am not speaking as an NTEN Community Co-Organizer.)

Natania, I really do appreciate all of the work (and money) you and ThinkShout have contributed to bring Drupal Day back this year. It was sorely missed last year, and I was so happy to hear that it was coming back, even if I couldn't be there myself.

But, when I looked at the schedule that was posted earlier this week, my response wasn't: "Wow! This looks so awesome! I wish I had a Time Turner like Hermione so that I could be in two places at once and attend both DrupalCon AND Drupal Day!"

Instead, it was: "Huh. That's a lot of ThinkShout."

While I'm positive you had the best of intentions as you put the schedule together, surely you can see now that the optics here just aren't great.

It's good to hear that you reached out to other agencies and to your clients, and I understand that scheduling is tough this year because of the conflict with DrupalCon. But I have to agree with Ruby and Ivan – this really feels like a missed opportunity.

There are so many nonprofit folks who are out there doing amazing things with Drupal, either on their own, with a freelancer or a small one-or-two-person shop, or yes, with a larger agency. I know they're out there because they post to this list, and they participate in our monthly calls. And I'm sure at least some of them are planning to attend NTC instead of DrupalCon.

An open call for entries like the ones held for this year's WordPress Day and CiviCRM Day, or even just a post to the list asking for the community's help in finding and encouraging these nonprofit staff to present, would have gone a long way towards creating a sense of transparency and inclusion.

I hope you are able to find some non-ThinkShout-affiliated speakers for your lightning talks. It would be even better if you were able to find some room for said speakers in your official schedule.

Jess Snyder
    Senior Manager, Web Systems, Digital Media | Digital Media
    jsnyder@weta.org | 703-998-2002 | @jesseves

WETA Public Television and Classical WETA
    3939 Campbell Avenue | Arlington, VA 22206
    www.weta.org | facebook.com/wetatvfm | @wetatvfm

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Mar 02, 2018 14:47
    Hi all-

Amy and NTEN chiming in here! I'm so grateful to have a community of smart, thoughtful, passionate folks who help us (that includes our partners and sponsors) create the best events and experiences we can. Thank you for your thoughts and engagement on this thread specifically and for sharing direct feedback. We are in regular communication with the team at ThinkShout and I know they hear you and care deeply about Drupal Day, the NTC, and the full NTEN community.

I wanted to share a few key things if of value here:

If you or your colleagues want to discuss the potential of joining 18NTC Drupal Day as a cosponsor and/or the benefits of doing so, you can contact @Natania LeClerc directly.

NTEN works with all of our pre-conference sponsors to ensure they understand their options to and can engage with the community throughout their planning process. We will continue to do so in future years. We also are open to changing the format of pre-conferences either by design or to succeed within the constraints of the venue for a given year. Your feedback is always welcome and encouraged. We will be putting together the options, expectations, and contract parameters (that detail participation and engagement expectations as well as format and content restraints) for 19NTC later this spring and either @Bethany Lister or I will communicate opportunities with you all for opportunities to actively contribute to those considerations and plans.

Thank you again and I wish that DrupalCon and the NTC dates didn't conflict this year so that more of you were able to participate with us in New Orleans.

Amy
    ​​​

Amy Sample Ward
    CEO
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Mar 05, 2018 10:39
    Edited by Natania LeClerc Mar 05, 2018 13:45
    Hi everyone - hope you all had  great weekend!

I wanted to reach back out to say if anyone is interested in co-sponsoring Drupal Day, please don't hesitate to contact me for more details about what that entails and the benefits included.

If you would like to submit a lightning talk (we have 4-6 five-minute slots available), please send along the following to me:
    • Name 
    • Organization you work for & role, or focus area if contractor
    • Lightning talk topic
    • Short description
    Or if you'd like to set a topic for one of the unconference/birds of a feather breakouts, feel free to send those along too!

Thanks to everyone for your interest and desire to make this event a success -

Natania

Natania LeClerc
    ThinkShout, Inc.
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate

• 9.  RE: Drupal Day at the #18NTC

Posted Mar 12, 2018 19:40

We have heard the feedback from the community, and we want to encourage people to tell their stories about using Drupal. We are committed to putting on an event that reflects the diversity and passion of the community we're in. So we will be accepting speaker submissions to Drupal Day through the end of this week. The requirements are that you must either be at a nonprofit, or if at an agency/consultant, you must have a nonprofit co-presenter for your case study.

If interested, please submit the following via email to natania.leclerc@thinkshout.com with the subject line "Drupal Day Session Submission" by 4pm PST on Friday, 3/16:

• Session topic/name
    • Short description of the session
    • Level of experience your session is geared towards (beginner, intermediate, expert, n/a)
    • What can attendees plan to walk away with learning?

Talks are 1-hour in length (~45mins if adding Q&A at the end). We will evaluate the session submissions and reach out to confirmed speakers by end of next week (3/23).

If lightning talks are more your jam (5-minutes in length), we are still accepting speakers for those as well. You can also reach out to me at the above email with your topic for that and we'll hold a place for you!

Lastly, we want to thank everyone for your enthusiasm and energy around this event. It has been challenging with the competing conference to drum up the level of participation we were hoping for, but seeing the involvement from the community has been truly inspiring and we are grateful for you! 

Natania LeClerc
    ThinkShout, Inc.
    Portland, OR

Tech Accelerate