Drupal

last person joined: 10 days ago 

If you work in an organization using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you. If you work in a nonprofit using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you! Stuck on something? Have a question? Drupal experts are on hand to answer questions! You don't need to be a member of NTEN to participate in the monthly calls — feel free to invite colleagues and spread the word.

Update to precons for 19NTC

• 1.  Update to precons for 19NTC

Posted Sep 05, 2018 00:31
    Hi all-

Now that the general conference session submission and voting process is closed, I'm writing to share some updates about the way the precons will work for 19NTC and the opportunities we've made specifically for this group to be part of them.

Thanks to valuable feedback from community members, online organizers, sponsors, and attendees, we have redesigned how the precons work at the NTC, but have kept the same goal as always: a day for content that is unabashedly product specific (since the educational sessions during the conference aren't) and a chance for folks who are already using those products and folks who may want to try to them to learn together. The new format will essentially operate like a stand-alone conference day. There will be a morning general session for all participants and then break out sessions, a lunch for everyone with birds of a feather tables, and more breakout sessions. All attendees are signing up for the same thing and no one is asked to choose only one product they want to learn about - attendees can filter between sessions just as they do during the rest of the conference. 
    Sponsors can opt-in for two or four sessions and they are clearly labeled with who sponsored them. Sponsors are still able to do what they want with their sessions but only with NTEN approval on the topic (to avoid duplicate topics and to avoid sessions that aren't about products at all which is the point of the day). So far, the following sponsors are signed on for Drupal-related content:
    • 2 sessions Drupal (Kanopi)
    • 4 sessions Drupal (Message Agency)
    • 2 sessions Drupal (ThinkShout)
    • 2 sessions Drupal (Gizra)
    We have reserved sessions for the online groups (the Drupal and Wordpress groups) and you all can use them how you wish (within the general parameters of the precon goals). We have 4 sessions for the Drupal group to use. We are happy to help in whatever way feels appropriate.

NTC registration opens October 1st this year and the session titles/topics for any precon sessions that are confirmed will be listed on the website for potential attendees to see. That does not mean that you all have until 10/1 to decide! We can add information to the site whenever it is available (and can list the four sessions as being associated with the group until specific topics are decided). 
    Let me know what questions you may have or if there are ways that we as staff can support this!
    Thanks,
    a

------------------------------
    Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Update to precons for 19NTC

Posted Sep 05, 2018 11:05
    Edited by Ruby Sinreich Sep 05, 2018 11:31
    Thanks for the update, Amy! I'm not sure I totally understand the new format. What I had been looking forward to was having the NP Drupal community organize a day to benefit ourselves and our colleagues. I talked to several vendors recently that indicated they would support something like this. One of the biggest problems last year was that the day was really driven by vendors agenda and not ours. There is some overlap there, but it didn't really work that well for anyone.

My sense is that there are a number of sponsors/shops that would be happy to support a community-led event, with the understanding that they would be included in the sessions and we could all collaborate on organizing an event together. By doing this they would help create an event that the community would really appreciate, but it would actually be less work for them! Is that a possibility within this new framework?

= Ruby

--
    Ruby Sinreich
    pronouns: she/her

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Update to precons for 19NTC

Posted Sep 05, 2018 13:51
    Thanks for engaging here, @Ruby Sinreich!

If helpful, maybe we should plan a call where anyone from the group can join and I'll bring in Andrea etc from the NTEN team to talk about ideas together. I know I find that active conversation can be an easier path toward understanding than written (but that's just me!).

A lot of the feedback we received (not just last year but all years actually) from attendees at the pre-con day events is that they wanted to float between sessions, talk about and learn about different products, etc. So, ultimately, if you all didn't want to be part of the precon day as it is planned for 19NTC, we wouldn't stop you from organizing something else. Our intention with this new model is to create a product-specific day that is all one event so attendees can go to whichever sessions interest them regardless of whether they are Drupal, Wordpress, etc. We have sponsors who get sessions (if they sponsor or two or four) but then have these four other sessions we've saved for the Drupal community to use without paying for sponsorship.

I'm not sure from your message what you have in mind more specifically to speak directly to whether it fits in this model or not. Happy to keep chatting about this!
    a

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Update to precons for 19NTC

Posted Sep 06, 2018 13:02
    Hi Everyone,

An NTEN staff person will be on our next call on Thursday, Sept. 20th, 1pm EDT/10am PDT, to talk about the new 19NTC pre-con sessions (to replace Drupal Day). 
    We'll do that for the first half-hour, and we'll preserve the second half-hour for regular Q&A chat discussion, if anyone has anything non-NTC-related that they need to talk about. 

Call-in information is in its usual home, right here: http://nten.org/drupal/notes 

Note: if you'd like more information about the pre-con day before the call, and/or you cannot make the call this month but want to discuss this change to the NTC, please feel free to ask NTEN questions or discuss things further right here on this email list.

Thanks, everyone! 

Johanna

Johanna Bates
    Technical Director, Principal
    Twitter: @hanabel

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Update to precons for 19NTC

Posted Sep 06, 2018 13:05
    Great idea! Thanks for putting that together, y'all.

= Ruby

--
    Ruby Sinreich
    pronouns: she/her

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Update to precons for 19NTC

Posted Sep 11, 2018 08:48
    If I understand @Amy Sample Ward, she's asking the Drupal group to come up with 4 sessions which will be placed on the schedule along with (currently) 10 sponsored sessions -- all of which will run parallel to the WordPress folks doing the same thing, and attendees can wander into whatever of the above they're interested in.  Is that correct?

If so, I'd offer an idea for consideration -- do we want to use any (all?) of those 4 sessions as an un-conference/BOF (in the Barcamp/Drupalcon sense, not the NTEN lunch table sense) I know in San Jose we had a great Drupal BOF and discussed trying to do more.

Nate

Nathan Gasser
    President & Executive Chef
    Report Kitchen
    :::
    A more delicious way to publish your
    project, policy, and research reports.
    :::
    http://reportkitchen.com

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Update to precons for 19NTC

Posted Sep 11, 2018 10:11
    Hi Nate,
    As I understand it, the precon is not divided into tracks based on technology platforms (i.e. WordPress and Drupal), but is an open mix of whatever vendors and the CoPs put in.

I like your idea a lot, and I know Ruby has expressed some similar thoughts about how we could add some community-based content into this precon event. 

Any chance, Nate, that you can be on this month's call on 9/20? I think that's a good time to get the convo going if possible. 

Thanks! 
    Johanna 

Johanna Bates
    Technical Director, Principal
    Twitter: @hanabel

Tech Accelerate