Drupal

last person joined: 9 days ago 

If you work in an organization using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you. If you work in a nonprofit using Drupal, or you work with nonprofits using Drupal, this is the group for you! Stuck on something? Have a question? Drupal experts are on hand to answer questions! You don't need to be a member of NTEN to participate in the monthly calls — feel free to invite colleagues and spread the word.

Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

• 1.  Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 04, 2018 13:11

Hello everyone,

The new 19NTC Pre-con day will feature at least 6 Drupal sessions created and organized by and for us, the NTEN Drupal Community of Practice. NTEN has reserved 4 sessions slots for our community's use, and Message Agency has kindly sponsored two additional session slots that they are donating to the Drupal CoP community, as well.

We'd like to see if anyone would be interested in being on a pre-con organizing team that will be in charge of filling these 6 community session slots. We CoP co-mods can provide guidance and access to NTEN resources as needed. The team can do work between meetings and then discuss and get feedback on their plans during our regular monthly calls and on the e-mail list.

If you're interested in being on this pre-con organizing team, please reply to this email thread, or email me, Jess, and/or Corey backchannel and let us know. We'll announce the team on our next call, which is Thursday, Oct. 18th, 1pm ET / 10am PT.

Thanks, everyone!

Johanna

------------------------------
    Johanna Bates
    Developer, Nonprofit Tech Strategist, Co-founder
    http://DevCollaborative.com
    http:twitter.com/hanabel

Join the Drupal NTEN Community of Practice!
    http://community.nten.org/drupal
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 04, 2018 14:08
    Thanks, Johanna! I would be glad to be a member of this team. ✋��

I'm hopeful that if we reach out to other potential sponsors we could end up with more than 6 sessions to fill.

= Ruby

--
    Ruby Sinreich
    pronouns: she/her

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 05, 2018 09:49
    Thanks, Ruby! 

Anne just posted to the list about the awesome "unconference" style sessions they do at BADcamp. I think that's a potential model that could be used for these six open 19NTC pre-con Drupal sessions. 
    Ruby, I think you have some experience with unconferencing, so maybe that's something you have in mind. It's up to the organizers, of course. 

I hope some other folks, if you know you'll be at the 19NTC, will step up to work with Ruby on this! Again, we the co-mods + NTEN will provide guidance and support, but this team will lead it. 

I believe there is a possibility that (an)other vendor(s) could donate some more sessions to this pool of six we have so far, as Message Agency did (thanks very much, Marcus and Message Agency!). 
    (Hey vendors, how 'bout it? :) )

Happy Friday, everyone! 

Johanna

Johanna Bates
    Technical Director, Principal
    Twitter: @hanabel

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 06, 2018 16:36
    Ruby and Johanna,
    I am up for helping to organize Drupal Day at NTC as well. I'm excited for this opportunity for the Drupal nonprofit community to connect.
    Sincerely,
    Tim Nafziger

Tim Nafziger
    Co-Founder
    Congruity Works
    Ojai, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 05, 2018 18:50
    Count me in. I am game to help out.

Andrew Mallis
    CEO & founder @ www.kalamuna.com
    Oakland, CA
    925-255-5204 x700

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 07, 2018 13:21
    Super cool. Happy to help!

Anne Stefanyk
    CEO & Drupal/WordPress Strategist
    Kanopi Studios
    San Francisco, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Nov 07, 2018 13:40
    Hello,  I wonder if you could help answer a question of whether it is time to switch to wordpress.  We are a very small nonprofit and have been Drupal, but now we need to revamp and examd and it is a bit much for our very small volunteer staff.  SJR2c.org.  thanks

Maggie Ardito
    Social Media Director
    St Johns River-to-Sea Loop Alliance

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Nov 07, 2018 13:42
    "revamp and expand" I meant to say.  thanks.    BTW I'm also president and chief web developer as well as cook and bottle washer.

Maggie Ardito
    Social Media Director
    St Johns River-to-Sea Loop Alliance

Tech Accelerate

• 9.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Nov 09, 2018 09:42

Hi Maggie,

From the information you've provided, the only answer that probably almost anyone can give you is "is depends". I know that's not super helpful.

• Either platform can probably do what you need.
    • It depends who's working on / maintaining the site. If they have a background in one platform or the other, they'll be better able to use that tool.
    • If there's no background to build on, many people would say that wordpress can be more intuitive for a less technical person to get good results from. Although really for either tool, your results are much better when the person knows how to use the tool well.
    • In your case, you've already invested time and effort into learning drupal and also building your current site and putting in all the content there. Changing to wordpress would mean losing much of those gains.
    • This also depends on what changes you're trying to accomplish. If there are things that aren't working well for you, or if the graphic design and look of the site need work (for example), those are definitely things that can be addressed in the current site without having to migrate.

Those are just a few factors. So... it depends. The next question probably is "what are you trying to accomplish or change? what problem(s) are you trying to address here?".

Martin

Martin Hansen
    Senior Consultant / R&D Lead
    519.725.7875 x2120 | 888.817.3048

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/pwsqlogo.png

PeaceWorks™ Technology Solutions
    101 - 554 Parkside Drive,
    Waterloo ON  N2L 5Z4
    www.peaceworks.ca

Mission driven technology solutions

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/facebook.png

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/bcorp.png

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/linkedin.png

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/rss.png

This communication is intended for only the party to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this message from your computer.

Please note: If you do not wish to receive promotional emails from us, please reply to this message indicating your preference and we will refrain from sending further promotional emails.

Tech Accelerate

• 10.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Nov 09, 2018 11:22
    My advice is that if you don't need any of the extra power of Drupal (like complex content types and user permissions, configurable content importing and display) and Wordpress will do the job, then you should probably use Wordpress. It's going to be easier than Drupal to use and maintain in the long run. 

But it if you've invested a lot of time in building things the way you want in Drupal, it could be worth sticking with that. 

= Ruby

--
    Ruby Sinreich

Tech Accelerate

• 11.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 08, 2018 08:56
    If there is not problem with me being outside the US, then I can give a hand!

How does this work? Is that a donation on USD or in kind?
    >I believe there is a possibility that (an)other vendor(s) could donate some more sessions to this pool of six we have so far, as Message Agency did

Alberto Rojas
    Managing Partner
    Manatí
    Costa Rica

Tech Accelerate

• 12.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 08, 2018 14:24
    Wonderful. Thank you Alberto, Anne, Andrew, and Tim for sponsoring and/or helping to organize! (And again to Marcus for stepping up with that big leadership.) This is shaping up to be an excellent posse. 

= Ruby

--
    Ruby Sinreich

Tech Accelerate

• 13.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 09, 2018 10:18
    Hi everyone,

Yay! Thank you so much! The pre-con organizing team currently consists of:
    • Ruby
    • Anne
    • Alberto
    • Andrew
    • Tim
    This is a great posse, yes! 
    Alberto: regarding your sponsorship question, about potentially sponsoring additional pre-con session slots to donate.
    Please reach out to NTEN Development Manager Eileigh Doineau: eileigh@nten.org for more and better info than I am able to give you. :) I will also copy her on this message. 

Next steps: At some point, this team will meet independently to organize our pre-con sessions. But let's all include a discussion of how this will work on our next call, Thursday, Oct. 18th, 1pm ET / 10am PT.

Thank you everyone! 

Johanna

Johanna Bates
    Technical Director, Principal
    Twitter: @hanabel

Tech Accelerate

• 14.  RE: Drupal CoP Precon Sessions - Call for organizers

Posted Oct 11, 2018 09:27
    I'm late to the party and I see that the team's already been worked out, but if you do need an additional set of hands at any point, let me know!

Kat Kuhl
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate