Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 22 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Email Retention Policy?

• 1.  Email Retention Policy?

Posted Jul 24, 2013 11:28

Hey, 

Anyone have information\best practices around email retention policies?

Specifically I am looking for information on terminated employee emails. Currently when an employess leaves, we archive their emails, close the account and keep them forever. We would like to implement a simple policy around how long we keep these.

Any recommendations?

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  Email Retention Policy?

Posted Jul 28, 2013 13:15

Steve,

Educause has a bunch that were developed by universities:

http://www.educause.edu/search/apachesolr_search/email%20retention%20policy

There are also some on Idea Encore: https://www.ideaencore.com/search/apachesolr_search/email+retention?utm_source=Consumer&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=2011-04-05

-- Robert

• 3.  RE: Email Retention Policy?

Posted Aug 11, 2017 18:30
    Edited by Emilie Valentine Aug 11, 2017 18:30

Hi Steve and Robert and everyone!
    This thread is 4 years old, but I am currently wondering about email retention best practices for nonprofits. We're moving from on premise Exchange and file server (with tape back up) to O365. We're trying to decide if we need to pay for extra services for back up for email and files. We might choose to anyway, for our own needs, but beyond our needs, we're curious about best practices, legality, etc. Any tips or resources on this? Thanks!

Emilie

------------------------------
    Emilie Valentine
    Director of Technology and Internet Strategy
    Temple Emanu-El, San Francisco
    San Francisco CA

• 4.  RE: Email Retention Policy?

Posted Aug 14, 2017 12:10
    Hi Emilie. Judging from this list, it looks like you should keep them for 7 years, but I would consult the temple's lawyer to be sure.

Robert

Robert L. Weiner Consulting
    San Francisco, CA
    415/643-8955
    robert@rlweiner.com
    www.rlweiner.com
    Twitter: @robert_weiner

Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions

• 5.  RE: Email Retention Policy?

Posted Aug 15, 2017 06:31
    If your retention policy is simply an issue of storage, it may be moot due to the storage limits of O365, which is pretty generous depending on your license.  However, not having a retention policy certainly opens up issues related to litigation and the costs and and risks of having to handle large amounts of electronic data.

I would recommend looking at the Archiving feature from Microsoft that is part of Office 365, it may provide what you need without putting a formal retention policy in place.  Office 365 also provides for litigation holds, if ever litigation were an issue.

Not all entities are required to have a retention policy, if you are not required to have a retention policy, it really will come down to culture and expectations.  7 years would be the maximum for me, it does however follow "records" retention guidelines and it can make it simple for staff to remember...  as for the original post from a few years ago, terminated accounts are deleted after 30 days in my environment.  We don't keep terminated employee emails or accounts.

James Stewart
    Chief Information Officer
    NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness