Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 21 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

• 1.  Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

Posted Jul 17, 2019 12:17
    Edited by Kari M. Jul 17, 2019 12:21
    Hi all,

I want to create annual timelines for our department's recurring projects, 1 timeline for each business unit (4 -6 timelines total).

I want to be able to overlap the timelines if needed - the primary goal is to get a visual on staff bandwidth on a departmental level.  TeamGantt has worked perfectly for me for 1 timeline and would work just as well for all of them,  but I can only get 1 project/timeline on the free plan.  I only have a department of 3 so I'd be paying for extra seats I don't need if I upgrade and the monthly subscription cost seems a little too much for a department my size.

Any recommendations for a similar product that will cost less than 40/mo and do what I outlined above?  Again the goal isn't so much real time collaboration or task/project documentation which is why most of the task and project management apps aren't really catching my eye.

------------------------------
    Kari M.
    Business Systems Liaison
    Wilshire Boulevard Temple
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

Posted Jul 20, 2019 09:00
    If you simply need the visualization aspect of seeing multiple gantt charts side by side more than the actual project/resource management aspect, then you might be able to use something like this trick @Ash Shepherd came up with: https://twitter.com/NPTech_Ash/status/1076110754745446407   ​​

Janice Chan
    Co-Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group
    Twitter: @curiositybone

Consultant, Shift and Scaffold
    www.shiftandscaffold.com

• 3.  RE: Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

Posted Jul 23, 2019 11:22
    This is nifty, thanks!

Kari M.
    Business Systems Liaison
    Wilshire Boulevard Temple

• 4.  RE: Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

Posted Jul 22, 2019 15:33
    I'm not sure I should piggyback on this post or if it's the same thing - we are looking for resource scheduling as well, but with a little different focus.  We have three big meetings a year, each with several tracks and many meetings and educational seminars.   We need to track when and where things are occurring better than how we are doing it now, which is in excel and post-its.   The meeting planners would like software that will let them know if a room is trying to be double-booked and not let them do it.  It will be more for setup than tracking, though we would track for the duration of the meetings.

We currently have wall charts and different color sticky notes to help visualize but it's not quite enough. 2000 people attend,two to three days, one main hotel,  25 + or - staff for staffing the rooms and registration desk, between 10-18 rooms for classes and meetings (not counting the bar!) depending upon the property, and last but not least, the A/V for each room..

Is there software that will do that with grace and flexibility?  We could do it in our AMS but it's not intuitive and has been met with much foot dragging.

Beth Camero
    Technology Manger
    Quality Care Health Foundation
    California Association of Health Facilities
    Sacramento, CA

• 5.  RE: Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

Posted Jul 23, 2019 10:41
    Probably better to start a different post - but yes, there is a lot of software available. Skedda is a more affordable tool, SpaceIQ is an enterprise tool, and of course there are many other options.

I will add that many orgs that I've worked with have tried lots of different solutions and have found that a physical big board with magnetic tiles is the easiest way to work the schedule, but that the various other elements, eg tech requests and collision avoidance are much better using software. But the price of that is that the scheduling aspect is not as fluid, since you have to do it digitally. There is no magic wand that makes all of this go away (though maybe one day with RFID tags and such there could be...)

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 6.  RE: Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

Posted Jul 24, 2019 09:35
    Ah, grace and flexibility in a software solution.  That requirement should be in every RFP!

There is indeed software out there to help, Event Management System is the category.   To quickly dip your toe in these waters, check out: 

Cvent, which has been around for a long time and likely does it all at this point, though they may have a higher entry point on price.  

In terms of most-frequently-mentioned, Attendify has been brought up a few times in these lists.  It has a good feature set and is moderately priced.

Today, I'm drawn to EventSquid.  Solid interface and covers all the bases in terms of features.  The entry price is a bit higher, though.  

As you noted in your question, there are also solutions designed around association management systems; my sense is that these will somewhat show their age.  

My advice is to really kick the tires in demos and trial accounts until you find the one that fits your team best, and then set course - no more foot dragging!

Matt 
    --

Matt Veltkamp
    Nimbus Nonprofit Solutions
    Cloud Services l IT Strategy and Roadmaps l System Migrations l Database Integrations l Hybrid Solutions

• 7.  RE: Software/App Recommendation Resource Scheduling?

Posted Jul 28, 2019 22:00

I have used this tool called ResourceGuru in the past. You don't create timelines here but it is a great tool that focuses on resource management. I like how you can also set off/leave dates for people and how it clearly reports over-utilization as well.

I think this will work for @Beth Camero's situation too - you can track not just people but resources like rooms.

Rates start at $2.50 per person.​

Alfred Lee
    Product Owner, CTO
    Our Better World - Singapore International Foundation
    Singapore