Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 21 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

24/7/365 website monitoring

• 1.  24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 24, 2019 06:37
    Hello

I am exploring options for 24/7/365 monitoring for my organization's websites which are hosted in an AWS server. I was wondering if folks in this discussion list can give me an idea of pricing, vendors and your experiences with various hosting companies.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 24, 2019 08:59
    Redante, If you just need monitoring to track up/down & response times and then get alerts, then uptimerobot.com is a decent tool.

Brian Horn
    COO/CIO
    Society of FSP
    Newtown Square, PA

• 3.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 24, 2019 10:36
    Thanks Brian! I am signed up to Uptime Robot. What I am actually looking for is a service to monitor our websites and provide tech support to restore them if they go down. I am seeking pricing info and vendors for these types of services.

Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 25, 2019 12:02

I'd suggest finding a team that can evaluate the website to tell you how to minimize or eliminate the worry of downtime. If the tech stack is good and maintained any downtime will be the responsibility of the hosting company.

As a Professional Services company, we often have to tell folks that even if we did 24/7 support for you we could do nothing if the website goes down. We've got the tech infrastructure in great shape and up to speed so if the site goes down the host has to be the one to fix it, and they monitor that in their house, if it's a host worth having. All we'd be doing is calling the host to say 'hey the site is down' and they'd reply 'we know we're working on it, please view our status page for updates' and then we'd ferry that message.

Getting the bones right and put on the right hosting for your needs is what's going to keep your uptime minimal :)

Any specific suggestions would depend on the core code your running.

Kimberly Lipari
    CEO, CoFounder
    Valet.io
    Distributed

kim@valet.io

• 5.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 25, 2019 09:56
    Just curious, how often do your websites go down? Also, the technology running your site makes a difference too on what services could be recommended. If you want a fully monitored solution for a Drupal/Word Press site, I would look at Aquia or Platform.sh. But if your sites are failing often, you may want to figure out why they are going down.

Kristin Iden

• 6.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 26, 2019 08:07

When I worked for a SAAS shop we had ur host restart servers that went down, but we paid for premium hosting from a buisness-class host (Peak 10).

We used New Relic for monitoring because it could monitor and give us history on individual modules and tell us, for example, if we had a memory leak.

I don't think any of that is going to come cheap.

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 7.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 26, 2019 11:58
    Echoing Colin in that New Relic might be a good option. I'd have a look and see if you could get by on the free plan (if they still have it).

For straight up uptime, with no root cause analysis, the free level of Uptime Robot might also fit the bill.

Ken Montenegro
    Information Technology Director
    Asian Americans Advancing Justice Los Angeles
    Los Angeles, CA

• 8.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 26, 2019 17:43
    Depending on what you're running Pantheon includes New Relic at their Performance Level hosting, FWIW

Kimberly Lipari
    CEO, CoFounder
    Valet.io
    Distributed

kim@valet.io

• 9.  RE: 24/7/365 website monitoring

Posted Jun 27, 2019 08:41
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I appreciate it. I will look into your suggestions.

Also, it looks like it would be useful for me, in addition to looking into various vendors, to also get examples of hosting contracts that outline what type of services clients should expect from hosting vendors and how specific they get in outlining various services, features and costs.

If folks are willing to show me contract examples I would appreciate it, on this thread or by private message.

Thanks

Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC