Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 22 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Digital Asset Mapping

• 1.  Digital Asset Mapping

Posted Jul 18, 2019 14:14
    Hi,

We are a mid-sized non-profit delivery arts education to NYC schools.

I feel we need to do a thorough asset mapping of our technology.

Does anyone have a tools, tips, or process for gathering entire staff to map out assets?

Thank you,
    Craig Hayes
    Deputy Director of External Affairs
    212-962-3820 x4

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Digital Asset Mapping

Posted Jul 19, 2019 06:46
    Craig,

Can you provide more detail about the need? What problem(s) are you looking to solve with an asset map? And are you looking to map your technology (such as network documentation, software inventory, etc) or map your data (what information you have and where it lives, how it moves, etc.)?

If the former, we (RoundTable, since Community Word is a client) can provide you with a "runbook" which you could review with Dawn (your account manager) and ask questions about anything that seems inaccurate or missing.

If it's a data map, there a lot of templates out there and it depends on the problem you're looking to solve. If it's GDPR concerns, for example, here are a bunch of GDPR specific templates: https://demplates.com/gdpr-data-mapping-template/.

If it's more from a cybersecurity standpoint, then here are two templates to look at. This is one we created for our risk and cybersecurity assessment projects. This one is a NIST- based template. I like the NIST one better, but I haven't taken time to build it our in a shared Google Doc/Spreadsheet so I can only share the PDF for now.

Last (not to bury you in templates, Craig!) is something called the tech stack template that I found a couple years and have found very helpful in identifying all the technology an organization uses and communicating it to staff to limit shadow IT.

I hope this is helpful, Craig. If none of this matches your need, give me more information and I'll see what I find.

Best,

-JP

------------------------------
    Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com

• 3.  RE: Digital Asset Mapping

Posted Jul 19, 2019 11:11
    Hi Craig,

I work for a small performing arts nonprofit and we also deliver music education to schools. I had the same issue as you about mapping our use of technology - since it's grown rapidly just in the past year or two. My tip is to create a digital map of everything, see what audience/staff members each tool affects, create easy tutorials, and then do a training. I'm doing a two-session in-depth tech training for staff next week on all our tech tools. Happy to share with you my presentation but also after the fact, what staff did/didn't get out of it. Hope this helps! If you want to reach out to me, find me at mtondreau@sdcchoir.org.

Best,
    Michele

Michele Tondreau
    Operations Manager
    San Diego Children's Choir
    San Diego, CA

• 4.  RE: Digital Asset Mapping

Posted Jul 19, 2019 12:46
    From a process perspective, this is a little bit like stubbing your toe and then realizing the million thins that toe is involved in because it hurts when you try and do them.

In other words, it's really hard for people to remember all the systems and tools they use, but it's easier to spot them when you go through workflows. Here are some tips for tracking down all the non-physical tech assets.

1. Ask finance to get you a list of payments made to vendors so you can comb through and figure out all the things you've paid for
    2. If you use centralized password management, you can look through there to spot the existence of accounts for various things and, depending on which manager you use, the frequency of logins
    3. Go through process-mapping exercises and identify systems used along the way. 

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 5.  RE: Digital Asset Mapping

Posted Jul 30, 2019 09:08
    Are you talking network assets or digital assets like social media and websites? If it is network assets, Spiceworks has a free and amazing inventory tool that is simple to deploy and gives you an in-depth analysis of all machines connected on your network, what's installed and what's running.

For things like your web services, that may be more of an interview and document process so you can create an inventory that you can then keep updated.

Kristin [Iden
    Director, IT
    The Wilderness Society
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Digital Asset Mapping

Posted Jul 31, 2019 10:08
    Everyone here has asked great questions - just waiting for your response so they/we can help.

Ellery July
    Saint Paul, MN