Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 21 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Managed service provider for Boston & remote

• 1.  Managed service provider for Boston & remote

Posted Mar 08, 2019 12:16
    Hi everyone,

Looking forward to seeing some of you next week in Portland!

In the mean time, the tech support vendor that has been with my organization for basically the entire time we have existed is closing down. We've grown a lot during the 18 years he's been with us (from one staff person to 22, budget of $3 million).

We need to hire a managed service provider for tech support and I'm looking for recommendations. Here are our basic requirements

1. In-person support for our headquarters in Boston (office LAN and WiFi, video conference equipment, etc.)
    2. Remote support for our staff around the country.
    3. Windows / MS Office / pc maintenance, upgrades, monitoring, etc.(desktop, NOT Office360)
    4. Google for Nonprofits (gmail, calendar, hangouts, etc.)
    5. Security
    6. DNS registration and maintenance (including SPF, DMARC, and DKIM for email)

Probably other things I'm not thinking of, but those are the biggies.

Does NOT need to support website or CRM (WordPress and Salesforce), we're covered on those already.

Your recommendations would be really helpful.

--Leah

------------------------------
    Leah Kopperman
    leah@keshetonline.org
    Director, Data & Constituent Relationship Management (CRM)
    Pronouns: she/her/hers

Defend transgender equality in MA: Vote Yes on 3!
    Join the coalition with Keshet and Freedom for All Massachusetts to uphold dignity and respect for transgender people #YesOn3 http://bit.ly/yeson3

KESHET
    New York Office
    601 W. 26th Street, Suite 325
    New York, NY 10001
    P: 646.828.9246
    F: 617.524.9229
    www.keshetonline.org
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Managed service provider for Boston & remote

Posted Mar 09, 2019 12:45
    Hi Leah,

First of all, it sounds like you had a tech support vendor relationship most of us could only dream of, to have it last for so long!

You mentioned Keshet has seen a lot of growth over the years. Would you describe your organization as currently in a period of growth or transition? Also, I wonder if someone at your organization is currently handing tech risk/compliance issues around things like data breach mitigation, remote work, etc, or if you have an overall IT strategy plan.

A virtual CIO/CTO service could help your organization sort through all these things, and might be a good fit if you would like this kind of strategic support temporarily or on an ad-hoc basis.

Emilio Arocho
    Director, Technology and Digital Strategy
    Food and Drug Law Institute

Community Organizer, NTEN Nonprofits and Data group.

• 3.  RE: Managed service provider for Boston & remote

Posted Mar 11, 2019 00:57
    I have had great experiences with https://www.roundtabletechnology.com/ whom I've worked with at a number of clients. They are great with their support for nonprofits, and they are allies to the LGBTQ community as well.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 4.  RE: Managed service provider for Boston & remote

Posted Mar 11, 2019 01:50
    Hi Leah,

we have been very happy with Boston-based iCorps ( https://www.icorps.com/ ) . They provide excellent on-site support for staff in our New York office. I believe they provide all the services you are looking for, and I'd be happy to make an introduction should you wish.

Thanks,
    Richard

Richard McConnell
    Director, IT
    BSR
    San Francisco, CA

• 5.  RE: Managed service provider for Boston & remote

Posted Mar 11, 2019 10:05
    Hi Leah,
    Check out Tech Networks of Boston: https://techboston.com/.

Lindsey Peterson
    501Partners
    Boston, MA

• 6.  RE: Managed service provider for Boston & remote

Posted Mar 11, 2019 13:51
    Thanks to all who have reached out, either directly to me or on this thread.

Emilio: we're not in a place right now where we're looking for a CIO/CTO position. That could change in the future, but we're still on the small end of mid-sized (staff of 22). If we continue to grow as we have in the past, who knows.

Isaac: thanks for the recommendation. We've got a short list and we will add Round Table to it.

Richard: we'll take a look at iCorps, thanks for the recommendation. However, a first glance their leadership lacks the kind of diversity that we generally look for in our partners.

Lindsey: yes, TechBoston is already on our list. I'm glad to hear you like them. If we end up with them as a finalist would you be willing to speak with me or my CFO about your experience working with them?
    --Leah

Leah Kopperman
    leah@keshetonline.org
    Director, Data & Constituent Relationship Management (CRM)
    Pronouns: she/her/hers

Defend transgender equality in MA: Vote Yes on 3!
    Join the coalition with Keshet and Freedom for All Massachusetts to uphold dignity and respect for transgender people #YesOn3 http://bit.ly/yeson3

KESHET
    New York Office
    601 W. 26th Street, Suite 325
    New York, NY 10001
    P: 646.828.9246
    F: 617.524.9229
    www.keshetonline.org