Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Decommissioning Old Equipment

• 1.  Decommissioning Old Equipment

Posted Nov 27, 2018 12:50
    Hello All,

I was wondering what your practices are when decommissioning old equipment?

At SCUP our staff machines are on a 4 year hardware upgrade cycle, at the end of which we offer the machines to staff to purchase - there's never a shortage of takers for discounted laptops. If equipment is broken or sufficiently old - like a 9 year old scanner that just "appeared" in my office - that goes into electronic recycling. I don't have a good answer for functional equipment with a longer shelf life - for example an 8 year old blade server. The equipment is perfectly functional but the organization no longer has a use for it. I've previously looked into both reselling (ugh) and donations to other organizations but both options proved to be more effort than it was worth.

So, what does everyone else do?

------------------------------
    Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Decommissioning Old Equipment

Posted Nov 28, 2018 16:43
    Thanks to those on today's community call for the following recommendations.
    • Tech for Troops, They will find "highest purpose" (Refurb, parts, green recycle for precious metals)
    • Donate to a training center
    • Offer on NTEN forms
    • See about a local refurbishing company

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Decommissioning Old Equipment

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:41
    Highly recommend TechForTroops, Home - Tech For Troops Project They will accept materials from anywhere around the country, and can provide Certificate of Destruction if required.  ISO-certified processes for data removal.  Mark Casper mcasper@techfortroops.org is my go-to guy; tell him IT4Causes sent you!

Tom Anderson
    Founder
    IT4 Causes
    Midlothian, VA

Tech Accelerate