Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 22 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Allowing independent contractors to have corporate/org email address

• 1.  Allowing independent contractors to have corporate/org email address

Posted Jul 05, 2019 18:03
    Trying to weigh the pros and cons of giving an independent contractor that we work with frequently an org email address/account:

Pro
    • Convenience of finding them on the global address list (though we could do this with an alias as well)
    • Authority-- they could represent the organization via a "real" email address (or is this a con?)
    • Tracking-- all their correspondence would be stored on our email server and backed up
    Con
    • Security-- no control over their devices, encryption, policies, etc.
    • Training-- they won't necessarily participate in our corporate security training and phishing tests (though I might be able to figure out how to do this in Knowbe4)
    • Cost of another CAL
    Would appreciate any experiences, input and/or (most especially) authoritative resources on the subject.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Annette Fowler
    Managing Director of Technology
    National Endowment for Financial Education
    Denver, CO
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Allowing independent contractors to have corporate/org email address

Posted Jul 06, 2019 18:28
    Hi Annette,

My personal opinion as an "independent salesman"...

Independent salesperson only should want the ability to use your logo on their business card and/or their personal website if they have one.

If he/she is truly independent then they may not want to have to use your assigned company email address for all correspondence especially if they are selling products/services from multiple vendors.

I am not an attorney so this maybe something to get legal advice about especially if there is a contractor agreement already in place.

K. Howard Enterprise Solutions LLC
    Kyle O'Donnell
    President
    973-866-7366
    kyle@khesolutions.com
    www.ademero.com

• 3.  RE: Allowing independent contractors to have corporate/org email address

Posted Jul 08, 2019 08:25

Hi Annette, my inclination would be "no". But I think it depends on the nature of your relationship and the work. As you suggest, maybe a forwarding address is more appropriate instead.

Martin

Martin Hansen
    Senior Consultant / R&D Lead
    519.725.7875 x2120 | 888.817.3048

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/pwsqlogo.png

PeaceWorks™ Technology Solutions
    101 - 554 Parkside Drive,
    Waterloo ON  N2L 5Z4
    www.peaceworks.ca

Mission driven technology solutions

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/facebook.png

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/bcorp.png

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/linkedin.png

http://www.peaceworks.ca/sites/default/files/sig/rss.png

This communication is intended for only the party to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this message from your computer.

Please note: If you do not wish to receive promotional emails from us, please reply to this message indicating your preference and we will refrain from sending further promotional emails.

• 4.  RE: Allowing independent contractors to have corporate/org email address

Posted Jul 08, 2019 10:13
    I think that if they are representing your organization to others then it makes sense to give them an email address. I would also note that this represents a liablity to the organization and that person should be covered by the same policies and procedures as the staff. Covering the account with MFA, having them participate in security awareness training, etc ensures that anyone with an organizational email account (and associated access to org resources) is protected.

There are tools techniques to help ensure that the device they use is up to date and secured as well.

Hope that helps

Matt

Matthew Eshleman
    Chief Technology Officer
    Community IT Innovators
    Washington, DC

• 5.  RE: Allowing independent contractors to have corporate/org email address

Posted Jul 08, 2019 12:15
    I have found this to be a pretty typical practice at larger organizations whose internal security policies and management require org-based credentials to access network resources. There's typically a user agreement that you have to sign when you're provisioned with an account, that addresses some of the concerns you raised. From a security perspective, you have a lot more control this way.

I'll add that the determining issue isn't about whether the contractor is representing the organization. Usually, it's about the need to access the client's services and files in a secure fashion. In other words, it's not really about email and how email is used, it's about identity management and single sign-on. The specific pros you listed aren't really the ones that drive provisioning an org-based email in my experience.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com