Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

location for files

• 1.  location for files

Posted Jun 22, 2018 10:10
    Good morning everyone!  I know this will seem like a dumb question but I need to identify a location to store files for our Board of Directors. We use GSuite but I don't want to give them access to our Sites because there is way more information there than they need and it would just be confusing.  They do not have company email addresses. I just want a very easy to access location to store things like our Articles of Incorporation, staff roster, board minutes, etc.  Any recommendations?
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: location for files

Posted Jun 22, 2018 11:53
    Off the cuff, I think this might be a great use of Box. Even the free nonprofit version will give you most of what you need: Box.org
    Box remove preview
    Box.org
    Box.org enables nonprofits to innovate and fulfill their mission.
    View this on Box >

------------------------------
    Ken Montenegro
    Information Technology Director
    Asian Americans Advancing Justice Los Angeles
    Los Angeles, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: location for files

Posted Jun 22, 2018 13:29
    We use DirectorPoint mostly for minutes for each board meeting, but it's definitely not free.

Are there any tools your board members prefer/like/already use? I think we got DirectorPoint because a few board members at the time used it.

Keisha Carr
    Systems Support Associate
    Bainum Family Foundation
    Bethesda, MD

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: location for files

Posted Jun 22, 2018 13:42
    Tricia,
    You mentioned you are using G Suite. Here is how Southwest Neighborhoods and Tryon Creek Watershed Council are providing board member access to documents using the G Suite tools:

For Southwest Neighborhoods, archived documents such as Articles of Incorporation, approved meeting minutes, meeting materials, etc., are stored in the Board Archives folder on a network attached storage (NAS) drive that can only be updated by staff in the office. The Board Archives folder is then synced to a view-only sub-folder on the board's Google Drive. Board members have permission to update the board's Google Drive and view the Board Archives sub-folder. A Board Google Group is used to restrict permissions to the board's Google Drive. Board members are added to the Google Group using their personal email address.

The Tryon Creek Watershed Council doesn't have an office where NAS could be set up. They use a Board Google Group and board Google Drive with a view-only Board Archives sub-folder in the same way. The folder permissions are managed by an admin account owned by the board secretary who uploads documents to the view-only Board Archives sub-folder.

Additionally, both of these organizations link some of their Google Drive folders to their website. Using a naming convention, if a Google Drive folder name begins with "PUBLIC" it's permissions are "anyone with a link can view" and it may be shared on the website. This works perfect for organizations that have requirements to publicly share documents like meeting minutes.

Sharon Keast
    Technology Services
    Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc
    Portland, OR
    swni.org | 503-823-4592

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: location for files

Posted Jun 24, 2018 13:30
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out!

Tricia Darnell
    Office Manager/Technology Officer
    Center for Rural Affairs
    Lyons, NE

Tech Accelerate