Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 21 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

CMS- Wordpress vs Craft

• 1.  CMS- Wordpress vs Craft

Posted Aug 07, 2019 09:03
    Hi All,
    Our website designer is recommending we use Craft over Wordpress for our new site. He has made some valid points re: not as many hackers will try to infiltrate our site through plugins, etc. However, I am concerned that we will not have as many tutorials once we are left to manage the site on our own and not sure if that would lock us into developers that work on Craft, etc.

Any thoughts? Questions I should ask when he gives us a tutorial?

Thanks,
    Kendall

------------------------------
    Kendall Charlton
    Virtual Learning Director
    HealthMPowers
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: CMS- Wordpress vs Craft

Posted Aug 18, 2019 20:51
    Late-but-eager reply!

First off, don't miss NTEN's WordPress community forum!

Second, I think your concerns are valid, especially in terms of developer lock-in.  Some people refer to this as your "bus factor" (as in, "what happens if your developer gets run over by a bus?"). WordPress certainly has an advantage on that front and it's one of the reasons I personally like it so much.

As for the security concerns, I would clarify that WordPress sites with judiciously selected plugins that are kept up to date really don't have many security issues. Almost all WordPress security issues are due to out-of-date sites, of which there are probably hundreds of thousands. If WordPress were really insecure, it wouldn't be used by Time, The Wirecutter, New York Times, Wired, The White House, etc.

My bottom line is this: I trust a recommendation most when the person making it can both acknowledge the downsides/limitations of the recommendation and the upsides/advantages of other options. (I always try to provide this when recommending WordPress!) That means it's both informed and measured.

I wonder if talking with some site owners of Craft websites and some other Craft developers (who you might use in the future) would provide some final useful context. I think that's what I'd want to do if I were in your shoes.

Software decision making is hard, so good luck!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline