Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Zoom Account Type - Business or Pro?

• 1.  Zoom Account Type - Business or Pro?

Posted Nov 29, 2018 10:44
    Edited by Free Press Nov 29, 2018 10:52
    (Whoops - I previously made an error and posted this same message but in regards to Slack, instead of Zoom. My apologies, please disregard. I haven't found a way to delete it yet.

Hey there -

Reaching out for feedback regarding Zoom accounts plans, and whether you all recommend Business or Pro.

It seems that the Pro account is slightly cheaper by $5/month and has all the usual abilities.

The difference, from what we know is - Business is $5 more per month, but may have better management of accounts. Being able to manage domains - add/remove users under our org's email domain as they come and leave the org automatically. It also includes more extensive admin console to view the org's usage from a bird's eye view.

Does anyone have any feedback if whether either type of plan, Business or Pro, has been essential for their organization? Or a recommendation for us? We are a staff of around 40, and though we love to be frugal, we also don't want to miss out on helpful tools!

Thanks

------------------------------
    Free Press

Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Zoom Account Type - Business or Pro?

Posted Nov 30, 2018 09:29
    Business subscription gives you the ability to manage licenses, add/remove users under the management console.  Pro is like the individual subscription, you have on management control over it at all.

Chi Wei
    Director of Information Technology
    Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
    cwei@awhonn.org
    WashingtonDC

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Zoom Account Type - Business or Pro?

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:18
    Hello,

No worries about making a cross-post. I'm actually using Zoom for Education and Slack for Nonprofits, so I can speak about both. I highly recommend Zoom Pro if you're just getting started with video conferencing.

For the last 2 years we had Zoom Pro, as only 9 of our 20 staff needed accounts. Our non-profit price was $12.75 per seat (normally $15 per seat). The rest of staff was able to sign up for free accounts, which are similiar in features but when hosting meetings are limited to 40 minutes. Zoom Pro actually met all of our needs, we just had to be thoughtful about who actually needed to host meetings longer than 40 minutes and who could simply join. For example, our president and directors each hosted regular conference calls with members/committees/board members that were converted to video meetings once Zoom was adopted, so it made sense for them to have paid accounts. On the other hand I didn't need a paid account. Though I was not an account holder, I was able to manage the accounts using the Zoom web console and everything worked very well.

The downside to Zoom Pro is that it's limited to 9 accounts max. We are making some new hires that will need their own paid accounts which puts us over that maximum, so we had to move up into a Business plan. Luckily, as a Non-Profit our sales rep at Zoom was able to get us access to Zoom's Education plan instead of the Business plan. The education plan comes with 20 seats (more can be purchased) which make it a great value per seat. The additional features that came with the education plan are nice too, like having our own vanity url. Since we have 19 staff, this also means everyone is now getting their own Pro account, which is a great improvement for us at this time.

The things to consider
    • How much video conferencing does your staff currently do?
    • How much video conferencing are you anticipating once these tools are available?
    • How many people need paid accounts?
    • How many people could get by with free accounts?
    • Do you really need things like domain controls?
    • What's your budget?
    • If your staff are co-located, if might make more sense to get a Zoom Room license for a conference room which could be used by anyone to host a meeting. You don't need an account (paid or free) to join a meeting, only to host.  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/200108436-Zoom-Rooms

General Usage Tips for Zoom

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Zoom Account Type - Business or Pro?

Posted Dec 03, 2018 17:18
    I'm not sure which Zoom plan we're on, but it's a paid HIPAA-compliant version, and it works really well for us.

Zoom paid for itself right away in terms of saving on mileage & travel expenses.
    We have 6 facilities in 3 (soon to be 4) counties...the more we use it, the more we save.

Winston Berger
    IT Data Systems Manager
    A Better Way, Inc.
    Berkeley, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Zoom Account Type - Business or Pro?

Posted Dec 07, 2018 16:06
    Zoom also paid for itself with our group. We spent over $4k in 2016 on conference calling services. In 2017 we spent $2400 on Zoom instead.

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

Tech Accelerate