Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 20 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Embedding Powerpoint Slides w/ Video on a Wordpress Site

• 1.  Embedding Powerpoint Slides w/ Video on a Wordpress Site

Posted Oct 14, 2019 14:03
    Does anyone have any experience in embedding a powerpoint slideshow on Wordpress?

The problem I'm running into is the videos embedded in the PowerPoint files. We need these to be playable while watching the slideshow.

We also don't want the files to be downloadable as powerpoint files (to prevent the content being copied, changed, etc.

Any ideas very much welcomed!

------------------------------
    Fran Harrington
    @franharrington
    Media and Technology Manager
    Jamaica Plain, MA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Embedding Powerpoint Slides w/ Video on a Wordpress Site

Posted Oct 15, 2019 12:32
    Hi @Fran Harrington

When it comes to embedding things in WordPress, I usually look toward a 3rd party service that offers hosting of the files and an easy way to embed. For slideshows, that can include things like Google Slides, Slideshare, Speaker Deck, Issuu, etc. WordPress has built-in support for some of those that makes embedding even easier.

The tricky part is probably the video hosting. I don't know if any of those services support video hosting in a way that would work for you, but maybe they do! I would take a look and see. You might need to do something like upload the videos to YouTube or Vimeo and embed them from there.

I hope that's useful! (Also, if you weren't aware, there's a whole NTEN community devoted to WordPress that would love to hear your future WP questions!)
    ​​

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA

• 3.  RE: Embedding Powerpoint Slides w/ Video on a Wordpress Site

Posted Oct 15, 2019 15:36
    Thanks. 3rd party was my original thought too.

Looks like the best solution to work with video was to convert them to Google Slides and link to the videos on youtube. Slideshare and Speaker Deck did not offer solutions with video.

Fran Harrington
    @franharrington
    Media and Technology Manager
    Jamaica Plain, MA