Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 17 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Have anyone moved away from Zoom?

• 1.  Have anyone moved away from Zoom?

Posted Apr 06, 2020 09:27
    Have you moved your organization off Zoom due to the recent issue?   If so please share your decision.

------------------------------
    Patrick Jean
    IT Manager
    New York, NY
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Have anyone moved away from Zoom?

Posted Apr 07, 2020 08:17
    No, but we have locked it down. The joy of Zoom was its ease of use but that ease meant security holes. Plus, people crated public meetings, shared them on social media platforms, and shazam, they got hacked. If you don't have Pro licenses that allow you more admin control, it might be time to procure some. And then, take steps to prevent the Zoombombing, the searchable Cloud storage and alert your end-users not to click on links in chat.

Kristin [Iden
    Director, IT
    The Wilderness Society
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Have anyone moved away from Zoom?

Posted Apr 07, 2020 09:13
    We still use Zoom for most stuff.  In one case we had to do one-to-one teleconferencing, and the funding org demanded HIPAA compliance.  We found Doxy.me  It does HIPAA with a BAA, even in the free version.

Colin Boyle
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 4.  RE: Have anyone moved away from Zoom?

Posted Apr 07, 2020 09:59
    Patrick,

I did a brief write-up for myself as a thought exercise and have sent this to various colleagues for input. I welcome dissenting opinions on this from you and/or others in the community and reserve the right to change my view with updated information, but this represents my current feelings on the issues around Zoom.

1. Zoom has undergone a 20x increase in daily participants in just three months, from 10 million daily participants in December 2019 to over 200 million in March 2020. It has done this while maintaining high availability with few performance issues. 
    2. It is true that Zoom does have meaningful issues around security and privacy. But it is also true that, due its exponential popularity over the past weeks, Zoom is under remarkable scrutiny. Competing platforms such as Microsoft Teams, Google Meet and Citrix GoToMeeting are not receiving comparable scrutiny (yet). 
    3. Zoom has, historically, prioritized usability on its platform.This ease of use is why Zoom was chosen by so many people as a video communication platform. There are trade-offs between security and usability and there are design choices that Zoom has made that make easier to use, but not as secure by default as other options. 
    4. If you are considering moving to another platform (Microsoft Teams, Google Meet, GoToMeeting, etc.) for security reasons, I urge you to consider if this is the best course of action for your organization at this time. Changing meeting platforms will cause disruptions and, if security is a concern, other security gaps, such as not having 2FA, good backups, staff training and patch management are much more likely to lead to breaches and data loss than issues with your video conference platform.
    5. You can make Zoom significantly more secure by adjusting your Zoom meeting settings. These changes come with usability trade-offs. 
    6. Be sure to keep your Zoom applications on workstations and mobile devices up-to-date.
    7. Starting April 8th, Zoom is hosting weekly webinars to update its customers on these issues. 

Resources for further reading

Comprehensive review of known issues with Zoom and status. 

Facts about Zoom Encryption

The Latest Zoom Security Vulnerabilities: What You Need to Know

Joshua Peskay
    VP of Technology Strategy
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com

• 5.  RE: Have anyone moved away from Zoom?

Posted Apr 07, 2020 11:06
    We did an analysis with a few clients. I recommend considering this article in making your decision:
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

On the whole, we believe that Zoom is an acceptable option for most clients. Two practices we're advising are

1 - Use meeting passwords
    2 - Take visual attendance to confirm that the person who joined the meeting is who you think they are

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a Call: https://www.calendly.com/sage70/30min

• 6.  RE: Have anyone moved away from Zoom?

Posted Apr 21, 2020 10:26
    We mostly use a combination of Zoom and Microsoft Teams.  For Zoom, we have asked staff with accounts to change their passwords due to the database hack and suggest that they consider the following to make their meetings secure:
    • utilizing the passcode
    • lock the meeting once attendees have arrived
    • restrict screen sharing

Heidi Satter
    Director, Web Services
    Arlington, VA