Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 17 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

SharePoint file migration

• 1.  SharePoint file migration

Posted 27 days ago
    Hi, all -

We are looking at moving our on-premise files up to SharePoint in our Microsoft 365 account.
    I've got someone engaged to help with this, but I have some questions.

If you've migrated your on-prem files to SharePoint, were there any gotchas you'd be willing to share? Best practices to heed or disregard?
    Hindsight decisions?  Prep I should do other than file cleanup (which we did at the end of 2019)?

It looks fairly straightforward to me, and our permissions aren't complicated for our 37 users, but NOTHING is that easy when you're moving a lot of files, right?  We've got about a terabyte to move up.

Any advice from the trenches before I pull the trigger?

TIA,
    --Beth

------------------------------
    Beth Camero
    bcamero@cahf.org
    Technology Manager
    Quality Care Health Foundation
    California Association of Health Facilities
    916-432-5183
    Sacramento, CA 95816
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 27 days ago
    Here's a potential gotcha: Sharepoint has a 400 character limit on path and filenames. In my experience, there are always users with deeply nested folders and filenames like "Notes on meeting with Joe Smith regarding changes in HIPAA regulatory guidance.doc".

Another advisory is that Teams and OneDrive have mobile apps; Sharepoint doesn't.

I do a fair bit of consulting on 365 and I generally recommend using Sharepoint as the repository for finished work and Teams, or a combo of Teams and Onedrive, for works in progress. My whitepaper on 365 is here: Managing Documents with Office 365 - Marcum Technology.

Peter Campbell
    Senior Strategic Consultant
    Marcum Technology / Raffa - Marcum's Nonprofit and Social Sector Group
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 27 days ago

Thanks, Peter. 

• 4.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 26 days ago
    Beth, I'll second Peter's spot-on note about path lengths. Good to
    hear you and your team have optimized your documents, that makes a big
    difference in migration time and the overall satisfaction with the
    results.

Other tips:

- Make sure that any on-premise user accounts and have corresponding
    accounts in Microsoft 365.
    - Consider using a migration utility, such as BitTitan or Microsoft's
    Mover.io service.
    - Set aside time for the actual migration, close to one terabyte can
    take anywhere from 24 - 36 hours, depending on bandwidth, file sizes,
    migration service in use, etc.

Hope this helps!

Matt

--

Matt Veltkamp
    mveltkamp@nimbusnonprofit.com
    Nimbus Nonprofit Solutions
    Cloud Services l IT Strategy and Roadmaps l System Migrations l
    Database Integrations l Hybrid Solutions
    202-827-6715

• 5.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 26 days ago

We use the AvePoint DocAve (now called Fly) for file migrations.  Available from TechSoup for $343 for 250 Gb of data movement (though AvePoint has been very generous to us and allowed us to move much more data than this when we've asked).

Tom Anderson

CEO, IT4Causes

IT4Causes-logo-color180

• 6.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 26 days ago

Full disclosure.

I've hired Peter to help me with this very project.  So far he's done pretty darn good work.  :-)

Colin Boyle
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 7.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 26 days ago
    I was not involved in the hands on, but purchased ShareGate for the team and they and I was pleased without come.  We were able to bring almost everything over in what I would call compatibility mode and then have been taking that data to rebuild modern sites as time allows.  But for most users, they might not even had noticed.  hardcoded links will have to be updated. FYI, went from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 365, which we are loving now that we are there, but again most sites came over pretty good from 2010.

Greg Funk
    IT Manager
    Wilsonville, OR

• 8.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 26 days ago

Hi Beth,

That is great that you already completed the file clean up. That is always a good place to start. To add to the previous suggestions, here are some other considerations:

• Governance 
      • Will you allow external file sharing? If so, under what circumstances and how will that be monitored?
      • Where should different types of files (e.g., active, archival, multimedia) be stored? For example, large design/video files (larger than 15GB) may still need to be stored outside of SharePoint. Simple guidelines can help.
      • Who can create new SharePoint sites and document libraries?
    • Training - Using a cloud-based file storage platform is a paradigm shift and you'll want to make sure you invest in training to get your staff familiar with syncing, collaborative editing, versioning, and the other new capabilities that come with SharePoint.
    • Backup and Recovery - Depending on your needs, you may want to consider a secondary backup solution to augment what Microsoft provides out-of-the-box.

While not specific to SharePoint, here are some general guidelines we published on moving to cloud-based storage: https://www.delcor.com/resources/blog/what-you-need-to-know-before-moving-to-cloud-file-storage

Hope that helps!

Tom Jelen
    Strategic Consultant, Technology Management
    DelCor Technology Solutions
    Silver Spring, MD
    He/him/his

• 9.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 25 days ago
    Hello Beth,
    Along with the great suggestions already provided I would also recommend that you consider the following:
    • I'm sure you are too far along at this point to consider this as an option, but tagging documents with metadata is the preferred Sharepoint best practice instead of using folders and subfolders.  It's a bit more work upfront and your team will have to get used to the different method for access content, but using metadata allows you to take fuller advantage of Sharepoint's features
    • I would highly suggest that you NOT use a single document library to dump all of your folders into.  Instead, separate content into multiple documents libraries.  One advantage is that doing so makes it easier to manage permissions on documents.  It's much simpler to create document libraries that provide access only to specific groups vs having all documents within a single document library and having to apply different permissions to individual folders.  This becomes a management nightmare and also can lead to security oversights.  Microsoft says that a document library can contain up to 30 million items, but I would recommend that you do not exceed 5000 items or you will be asking for problems.
    • Unless you have really specific cases, always use groups to assign permissions.
    • Remember, SharePoint isn't just a document repository.  Take advantage of its workflow and collaboration features.  For example, Power Automate allows you to create automated workflows and also provides the ability to link SharePoint with a number of other applications.  Power Apps allows you to build custom business apps that can connect to a number of data sources and works on both computers and mobile devices.

These were just a few recommendations that I wanted to share.    I wish you the best of luck!

Kimico Myers
    Owner / CEO
    Columbia, SC
    (803) 603-0318
    kmyers@teamlogicit.com

• 10.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 25 days ago
    Kimico, to devil's advocate a bit, I would not recommend using metadata (tagging) instead of folders, but in addition to them. I've seen situations where an org followed that advice and it hurt their user adoption. My take is that using metadata is a best practice, as it enhances the ability to  classify data and, accordingly, improve searching. But, in many cases, you want to find a document, or narrow the search for it, by just quickly going to the logical location. The combo let's you established a simplrr folder structure (which also helps with the 400 character limit), but you should still be able to narrow a search by going to a client or project folder first.

Peter Campbell
    Senior Strategic Consultant
    Marcum Technology / Raffa - Marcum's Nonprofit and Social Sector Group
    Washington DC

• 11.  RE: SharePoint file migration

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Beth,

May i ask why the decision to convert from on-premise to cloud?

Have you considered converting to an alternate Document Management Software? (Not Sharepoint)

If you are going down this road of converting from on-premise to cloud I recommend that you consider investigating other solutions which may offer additional valuable benefits that Sharepoint does not provide.

I agree with @Peter Campbell that metadata tagging should be used in conjunction with Folders. Our solution for example automates the folder and filename building based on the metadata tags. The great thing though is that its dynamic so if metadata changes then the folder structure is instantly updated along with filename. Never have empty folders!

K. Howard Enterprise Solutions LLC
    Kyle O'Donnell
    President
    973-866-7366
    kyle@khesolutions.com
    www.ademero.com

2019 NTENny Awardee