Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: yesterday 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Standardized signatures in Outlook (Exchange environment)

• 1.  Standardized signatures in Outlook (Exchange environment)

Posted Jun 19, 2018 09:55
    Good day, everyone.

I'm looking at standardized email signatures for our organization, and what folks in this forum might be doing.  Pros/Cons of third party software, etc., that you might have encountered.

Leaving this really generic intentionally.  :)

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Amber Hobbs
    Sr. Technology Manager
    Center for Community Change
    Washington, DC

• 2.  RE: Standardized signatures in Outlook (Exchange environment)

Posted Jun 20, 2018 07:41

We've implemented a few different options.

Third party tools like www.symprex.com are good for granular control, better design and easier management. While you can have multiple campaigns and be really customized, we've seen it most often used to just deploy a standard signature across the organization that is updated monthly/quarterly.

You can also do this in O365 with transport rules as well, but it's a little more complicated as senders don't see the signature in their email and it can keep getting appended through multiple replies. You also really should hand code it in HTML so that it looks consistent.

Matthew Eshleman | Chief Technology Officer
    Community IT Innovators | where technology meets mission
    meshleman@communityit.com |Direct: 202-449-6711 |Help Desk: 202-234-TECH
    www.CommunityIT.com| @CommunityIT | Linkedin

• 3.  RE: Standardized signatures in Outlook (Exchange environment)

Posted Jun 21, 2018 09:07
    We use Exclaimer Outlook Signature software.  It was not too expensive and allows us to manage the signatures in Outlook across our environment.  It ties into Active Directory where you can use values within a profile to compose the signature block.  You can create different templates for based on AD variables and is really flexible.

To deploy, we use GPO and for our remote staff (we have about 20), we require them to use a VPN to work, and our policies are pushed to their machines.  When we make a change to the signatures, we see it deployed within 15 minutes.

The pricing is good for nonprofits as well.  I used this software at a very large multi-national law firm to standardize signatures and when coming into a nonprofit, the effort needed to manage signatures manually justified the cost... I think I paid around $800 for 100 users and then the annual renewal is around $140.

I would recommend looking at options based on your overall needs, but Exclaimer should be in the mix.

James Stewart
    NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness
    Arlington, VA