Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Introduction and request

• 1.  Introduction and request

Posted Aug 30, 2018 12:38
    Hello:

I'm the Director of IT for Color of Change, an online, social justice organization.  I am in the process of drafting IT policy documentation for the organization for the first time in its history and am wondering if any NTEN members from organizations with a social justice agenda would be willing to share their IT policy with me.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
    Charles Scott

------------------------------
    Charles Scott
    Director of IT Operations
    Color of Change
    New York, NY
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Introduction and request

Posted Aug 30, 2018 14:03
    Edited by Dar Veverka Aug 31, 2018 08:20
    Hi Charles-

Welcome! There are a few already posted in the Resources tab here in this forum that you may want to check out to get started. Any particular topic areas you are looking for- security? Mobile Device Management/Access? Acceptable Use?

Ones from the Resources library on the forum:
    Acceptable Use & Telecommuting

Device Usage

Web Privacy

Social Media

@Colin Boyle - Your security policy doc from June failed to upload in the Resources. Might be of interest here- re-upload?

(edited) Forgot to note Idealware has a recent workbook on Tech policies and a 3 part webinar on developing them. Have them marked for review but haven't gone through them yet.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Introduction and request

Posted Aug 30, 2018 16:48
    Edited by Charles Scott Aug 30, 2018 17:14
    Thanks Dar; did not realize that some policies might already be in the resources tab.  I will take a look at the documents linked in your reply.

However, I am also interested in policy documents from other (like) social justice organizations since there may be specific policies that reflect the visibility of our mission.

Best,
    Charles

Charles Scott
    Director of IT Operations
    Color of Change
    New York, NY

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Introduction and request

Posted Aug 31, 2018 08:10
    Edited by Dar Veverka Aug 31, 2018 08:20
    We are in the same boat. When I started at UT this spring, I discovered we have only a single very, very brief HR documentation retention policy. No other IT policies exist so getting a set of policies in place is part of my roadmap for this year. I'm finding a lot of what I've previously used as templates to build off of don't always fit anymore for a 100% online mission-driven org that has a lot of remote employees so I've mostly been looking so far and bookmarking for research to rebuild a good set of more relevant templates. I'm interested in seeing what others post in response as well. Having an organized set of updated policy templates on here would be awesome.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Introduction and request

Posted Aug 31, 2018 16:13
    Charles,

I really like these persona templates we adapted from an Access now: https://www.accessnow.org/first-look-at-digital-security/.

Here's two different versions you can take a look at, Charles. We like these because they are visual, focus on the important things, and may actually be read, understood and practiced.

IT Policy Persona Templates
    Cybersecurity Persona Templates

If you want to go the traditional route of multiple page policy documents, we have an entire library of policy templates if you want to dig through them. Here's a link:

Starter Policy Templates

Hope that's helpful, Charles!

-Joshua

(P.S. I taught the policy training for Idealware that Dar referenced - that's also a great resource if you want to take a deeper dive into the process behind making and socializing policy and it has a whole workbook with templates to go with it). Establishing Tech Policies to Protect Your Nonprofit - Three-Part Course)

Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Introduction and request

Posted Sep 07, 2018 07:58
      |   view attached
    I started at The Province of St. Joseph last December, and I have been working on our IT policies as well.  I have found the wealth of templates available at SANS - https://www.sans.org/security-resources/policies/general#acceptable-use-policy - a big help versus starting from scratch.  We recently migrated to Office 365 and had to come up with an O365 Acceptable Use Policy as part of that project.  I attached a sample of that one.

John Parker
    Director of IT
    Province of St. Joseph of the Capuchin Order
    Detroit, MI

Attachment(s)

Tech Accelerate