Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 21 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Support vendor - Denver

• 1.  Support vendor - Denver

Posted Apr 02, 2019 09:56
    Hello NTEN Tech Decision Makers!  I took over as Director of Technology in January and have decided that we need to replace our current hardware/software support vendor.  In addition to help desk-type support of our staff of 25, I'd like a partnership on some larger neglected IT projects regarding the network, Office 365 and so on.

So that leads me to two questions:

1. Does anyone in this group outsource to someone they love in this area?  At least initially I think some onsite work is going to be required,  until we can get more self-sufficient.
    2. How do I create an RFI/RFP that's detailed enough to describe the requirements of the projects without disclosing anything publicly that would make us vulnerable? That sounds paranoid,  but nothing surprises me these days with regard to cybersecurity.   Even posting this makes me a little nervous!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!  Annette

------------------------------
    Annette Fowler
    Managing Director of Technology
    National Endowment for Financial Education
    Denver, CO
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Support vendor - Denver

Posted Apr 03, 2019 17:23
    Annette -

My experience with vendors and consultants is that you will have no problem finding interested organizations who would like to help you with IT projects. If you are not required to do a formal RFP process, one suggestion is to create a very high level description of the projects you want, and then send that to some of the vendors this list will no doubt suggest. The details can be discussed in a one-to-one meeting. Your high-level description can just refer to 'email migration' or 'server refresh' or 'network upgrades' or even 'security enhancements'.

My 2 cents!
    Tom

Tom Moberg
    IT Manager
    Community Action Partnership of Ramsey and Washington Counties
    Saint Paul, MN

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline