Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 17 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

What gets tech funded?

• 1.  What gets tech funded?

Posted Apr 21, 2020 21:31
    Idealware/Tech Impact has asked me to create a toolkit that will help nonprofits do a better job of convincing decision makers (executive staff, board members, and/or funders) to invest in technology.

As techies and decision makers who have likely been on both sides of this equation, what do you need to see in a strong proposal or pitch? What kinds of questions do nonprofits need to ask themselves help them best frame their tech needs? And what mistakes have you seen that you recommend others avoid?

If you have a few minutes, I'd love to jump on the phone and hear about your experience/perspective. You can email me at danielrobertrivas@gmail.com to set up a quick call. If you don't have a chance to talk, a quick reply here with a nugget of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Daniel Rivas
    Tech writer
    Portland, OR
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: What gets tech funded?

Posted Apr 22, 2020 14:10
    Hi Daniel,

Happy to connect via the phone, but I have noticed the following benefits with the organizations I work with.

- Grantmakers and donors want an objective set of metrics that we are creating an impact, which technology can offer.
    - A properly selected solution can multiply the efficiency and insights of fundraising / development teams and help with the bottom line.
    - A properly selected solution can help programs and services be run in a more professional, organized and efficient fashion, and can also be crucial from legal perspective.
    - A properly selected solution can provide structure and uniformity in organizational processes and thereby increase efficiency and reduce miscommunication/inter-departmental friction (this may sound far fetched but it's been observed over and over).

Hope this helps. Happy to chat further.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 3.  RE: What gets tech funded?

Posted Apr 23, 2020 15:18
    As a consultant, I'm curious to hear more perspectives from nonprofits about what makes for a strong proposal. My own sense of it is that for the work I do, which is mostly in data strategy, assessment, and CRM selection, communicating clearly and with authority about technology to non-technical users is a crucial ingredient. It doesn't just help my firm get hired, it helps nonprofit leaders understand the value of hiring anyone. Vendors sell a specific solution to as many problems as they think they can reasonably solve. We offer nonprofits clarity about which problems they actually have, and what solutions might work.

The challenge of framing tech needs really hits home for me. Organizations often don't have the skills or knowledge to diagnose or name their problems, which makes it hard to shop for a solution. The interconnected nature of data and tech decisions also makes piecemeal approaches really risky, because you can get locked into configurations that just won't work well. Like with most things in life, if you're having problems, talking them out with others who have experience, and who have your best interests at heart, can give you the clarity you need to move forward.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a Call: https://www.calendly.com/sage70/30min