Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 20 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

It's Session Proposal time already!!

• 1.  It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Jul 26, 2019 10:52

It's Session Proposal Season already.  The only way we get good tech sessions is to propose good tech sessions.  Last year we used this forum to organize our efforts, and I think we got some great sessions.  ( I mean, that staffing one was awesome, right?  :-) )

Let's use this thread to propose things that we'd like to see sessions on and then we can put together people to make them happen.

Session Proposal Guidelines & FAQs

For myself, I'm going to work to make sure we have a Decision Maker's session.  We didn't do one in Portland and people really missed it.

------------------------------
    Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Jul 26, 2019 14:43
    To help folks think about it, here's a suggested topics list:

https://www.nten.org/ntc/proposals/suggested-topics/

When Janice and I were prepping our Knowledge Management session last year, we went looking for prior or current NTC sessions to link to for folks to get deeper into various topics we covered as part of KM. I was very surprised to find only a single NTC session on Document Management in 7 years of sessions. (Great session from Community IT from 16NTC). 1 session in 7 years!  And it will be 4 years since that single session. This topic comes up on here constantly and on the calls. It's often in the form of Sharepoint or another systems' specifics but it's a popular topic. Someone please do a session on it!

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 3.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Aug 06, 2019 16:39

Several times over the years we've done an open discussion session very similar to Tech Decision Maker's Call.  It's always been popular and a lot of people were disappointed that it wasn't on the agenda in Portland.

I've submitted a proposal to do a Tech Decision Makers session in Baltimore.

Assuming it gets voted in I'll need one or two co-presenters, ideally someone who doesn't have the large-organization, tech heavy background that I have.  Someone from a smaller org who is perhaps newer to the game than this grey-haired NT4.0 MCSE.  :-)

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 4.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Aug 07, 2019 14:07

Colin,

I'd be happy to join you on a Tech Decision Makers panel!

Tom

• 5.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Aug 08, 2019 08:11

Thanks, Tom.

We all need to get it voted in first!   (hint, hint)     :-)

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 6.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Jul 26, 2019 17:23
    I have been doing interactive sessions on using Microsoft Teams and would like to do one with someone new. I have a session outline but am open to doing things differently. One of the great things about doing interactive teams presentaions people do not need to be in the same room and yet you can have everyone in the room involved.

Ellery July
    Saint Paul, MN

• 7.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Jul 28, 2019 20:01
    Keisha Carr is looking for co-presenters for a session on Technology Staffing over in the 20NTC Session Proposal forum if someone is thinking about that IT topic:

https://community.nten.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=985&MessageKey=67089ba1-549c-4f1a-8209-c91495663a11&CommunityKey=0737e2db-5b8e-49b8-a0ef-a6778361865a&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2fcommunities%2fcommunity-home%2fdigestviewer%3fcommunitykey%3d0737e2db-5b8e-49b8-a0ef-a6778361865a%26tab%3ddigestviewer

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 8.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Jul 29, 2019 15:53
    Would anyone like to do a session on How to Prepare an Incident Response Plan?  What one should include, perhaps sample outline?

Mary Beth Foster
    VP Information Systems
    Texas Presbyterian Foundation
    Irving

• 9.  RE: It's Session Proposal time already!!

Posted Aug 01, 2019 07:11
    Mary Beth,

I would be delighted to collaborate on an incident response session with you.

I have presented on this topic multiple times. I did a version of this for JMT early this year. Here's a link to both the slide deck and the recording if you want to take a look.

At a recent cybersecurity class I taught, I incorporated what are usually called "tabletop exercises" as group activities and it went over gangbusters. Really good activity for participants dig into incident response. I adapted these a little bit (to make them more nonprofit friendly) from CIS. Six Tabletop Exercises for your Response Team.

I'd be delighted to work on this with you to submit to NTEN. If you do want to work on it, reach out to me at joshua@roundtabletechnology.com or go ahead and book a call or Zoom w/me at https://calendly.com/joshua_roundtable.

-Joshua

Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com