Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Looking for a consultant

• 1.  Looking for a consultant

Posted Sep 19, 2018 19:25
    Hi,

Looking for referrals.  We are based in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm new to the new position of Director of Information Systems.

We are seeking for a consultant to help us with a couple of things - ideally someone somewhat local, but not necessary.

Here are our needs:

• Immediate challenge
      • Help us work through determining how to navigate an impending CRM decision --- Raiser's Edge NXT or something else - recognizing that decision will impact how we handle other data-related issues.  Note -- not looking for NXT or Salesforce zealots - need someone who is program agnostic.  :-)

• Technology Strategy
      • Review our technologies needs/desires and determine what kind of technological infrastructure we need to make all the things happen that we want to happen.
      • Help us determine what software options would be helpful.
      • Help us define a road map to get to our desired state.

I recognize I may not even know what I'm asking. :-)   That's why I'm depending on this community to help me out.

Thanks

matt

-------------------------

Guiding thoughts:

• Be kind. Be gentle. Accept that others can disagree with you and still be good people.
    • "Technology to the Glory of God"

-------------------------

Matt Howell, Certified Practitioner in Learning & Performance (CPLP)
    Director of Information Systems
    CCO
    5912 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA  15206
    mhowell@ccojubilee.org
    (412) 697-6020

The CCO partners with colleges, churches and organizations to develop men and women who live out their Christian faith in every area of life.

Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Looking for a consultant

Posted Sep 20, 2018 08:54
    Will you accept a self-referral?

Sage70 helps nonprofits with exactly what you're describing: Technology strategy and CRM assessment. I'd be glad to speak with you, learn more about your needs, and share with you how we've helped nonprofits with these kinds of issues, and how we may be able to help you.

------------------------------
    Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Looking for a consultant

Posted Sep 22, 2018 08:41
    Matt,

I heartily endorse Isaac Shalev. We've collaborated with him on multiple projects and he's incredibly knowledgable and thoughtful.

-JP

Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Looking for a consultant

Posted Sep 21, 2018 13:20
    Isaac is great, and I'll give him a high-five!

You should also reach out to Robert Weiner - https://rlweiner.com/.

Both are highly regarded professionals with integrity. You can't go wrong with either one.

As an independent consultant, I'd add a couple comments to your thread.

1) Don't get hung up on geography. 90+% of all the work we do is remote. Both of these professionals will make you feel 100% taken care of and the location isn't as important as getting someone that knows the subject matter.

2) You absolutely want an independent - "Not an NXT or Salesforce zealot" - voice, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have "insider" knowledge. If they have been in this space for any amount of time, they will have short-cuts and quick ways to get the information you need to make a good decision, based on your unique needs.

3) If you end up selecting NXT, don't assume everything is all tied up in a package. Your team can save $$ by preparing in advance, and by investing in additional training post-implementation.

Good Luck! You have found the right group with the knowledge to share with you. Welcome.

LisaLane
    CEO, Nonprofit Garden
    Lisa@nonprofitgarden.com

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Looking for a consultant

Posted Sep 24, 2018 10:06

Hello, Matt!

As a former IT Director for a nonprofit, the challenges you're facing are very familiar to me and it would be my pleasure to have a call and talk about how best to approach these opportunities.

My company, Nimbus Nonprofit Solutions, supports nonprofit organizations by delivering effective cloud technologies. We bring an established ability to assess requirements, make recommendations, and implement solutions for fundraising, contact relationship management, financial management, grant making, and content management.

Our contracted services include IT strategy and road maps, systems migrations, application integrations, and developing hybrid solutions. We also provide experienced insights and project management for hosted solutions like G Suite, Office 365, M-Files, and Dell Boomi.

I used to visit Pittsburgh every three weeks or so, great city, spent most of my time in Shady Side and Friendship/East Liberty.  Happy to buy you a cup or a pint and discuss further!

Matt

Matt Veltkamp
    Nimbus Nonprofit Solutions
    Washington, DC
    mveltkamp@nimbusnonprofit.com

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Looking for a consultant

Posted Sep 24, 2018 13:31
    Thanks to all for the referrals, suggestions, and tips. So thankful I found NTEN right after I accepted this position.

We got waylaid last week with an imposed emergency -- as in, someone decided it was an emergency and imposed it on us.  :-)

I'm beginning the process of setting up introductory calls, so hopefully we are on our way!

matt

Matt Howell
    Director of Information Systems & Technical Training
    mhowell@ccojubilee.org
    CCO
    Pittsburgh, PA

Tech Accelerate