Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: yesterday 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Veritas Backup Exec 16 EOL - Move to Azure Backup?

• 1.  Veritas Backup Exec 16 EOL - Move to Azure Backup?

Posted Nov 02, 2018 11:14
    A client has an on-prem Server 2012 R2 running an Access 2016 database. We were running Veritas Backup Exec 16 to make a local copy and then copy to Azure Blob storage, but we now see that Veritas has stopped supporting BE 16.  We can't upgrade BE 16 to 20 because we bought the Not For Resale (NFR) version from TechSoup.  We could buy Backup Exec 20 from TechSoup again, but now I'm wondering if it would just be better to start doing the backups using Azure Backup instead.  Wondering if anyone else was using BE 16 and if they have any thoughts or input.  Or if anyone is using Azure backup to backup Access (which is the main reason we picked BE 16 in the first place; it will back up Access without having to stop the database first).

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
    Tom

------------------------------
    Tom Anderson
    Founder
    IT4 Causes
    Midlothian, VA

• 2.  RE: Veritas Backup Exec 16 EOL - Move to Azure Backup?

Posted Nov 02, 2018 12:07

I curious to find out what you decide.  I'm pretty happy with my setup, but that doesn't mean there isn't better stuff out there.

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 3.  RE: Veritas Backup Exec 16 EOL - Move to Azure Backup?

Posted Nov 13, 2018 08:36
    Colin, what are you using?

Tom Anderson
    Founder
    IT4 Causes
    Midlothian, VA

• 4.  RE: Veritas Backup Exec 16 EOL - Move to Azure Backup?

Posted Nov 14, 2018 07:36

For onsite stuff we use a proprietary mix of stuff based off of Datto.  There's a NAS onsite that contains all the snapshots and can be used to launch a failed server as a VM.  There's also a two copies of the latest roll-ups stored offsite, which can also be launched in the cloud (for a fee) from the datacenter.  They can also (for a fee) throw all my servers on a new piece of hardware and ship it to me.

For our cloud stuff, we use Backupify.  I've got two years left on the contract and then I'll decide whether I still need it.  With the cloud stuff I'm not so concerned about disaster recovery as much as I am about subpoenas.

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org