Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Adobe Creative Cloud and virtual machines

• 1.  Adobe Creative Cloud and virtual machines

Posted Sep 28, 2018 16:19
    I have two separate questions around the use of Adobe Creative Cloud applications (InDesign/InCopy/Photoshop/Illustrator, etc.)

1) Does anyone know how to get these to run on a virtual machine?

2) As part of our disaster recovery plan we would rely on a terminal server for access during an emergency. Our users with Adobe CC apps have them locally installed, but would not be able to access the terminal server drives through a file/open or file/save dialog box in one of the CC apps. Anyone have an idea how to make this work so they can access their files under this scenario?

Thank you

------------------------------
    Richard Wollenberger
    Director, Information Technology & HIPAA Compliance and Security Officer
    Parents as Teachers
    St. Louis MO
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Adobe Creative Cloud and virtual machines

Posted Oct 01, 2018 07:44

Seems like laptops with Adobe preinstalled might be a better choice.

I would think that whether it's a VM or a physical box would be transparent to Adobe, but my concern would be how well Adobe would be able to access the processor and video resources of the host machine.

That said, I've not actually tried it

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Adobe Creative Cloud and virtual machines

Posted Oct 04, 2018 14:35
    Most of the users already work on laptops. During an emergency though, file access would be via terminal server. The idea of getting files in the cloud outside of our DRP would allow access, but I would be concerned about performance with large InDesign or Photoshop files, as well as InCopy, which we use for workflow.

Richard Wollenberger
    Director, Information Technology & HIPAA Compliance and Security Officer
    Parents as Teachers
    St. Louis MO

Tech Accelerate