Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 22 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Cybersecurity funding?

• 1.  Cybersecurity funding?

Posted Aug 27, 2019 00:59
    Hi all-

We are working on a project (in partnership with TAG and Tech Impact) and looking to find a couple nonprofits that have received funding specifically for cybersecurity investments - whether it is bringing someone in to do a threat assessment and identifying needs, or training staff, or a tech project already identified. Has your organization received a grant to do anything related to cybersecurity? If so, please let me know!

And, for all of those reading this thinking "I wish!", the project is intending to help convince funders to do more of this so that hopefully you do get the support :)

Thanks
    a

------------------------------
    Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Cybersecurity funding?

Posted Aug 27, 2019 14:52
    Edited by Steve Haviland Aug 27, 2019 14:53

Hi Amy,

We are a for profit IT Vendor that this year is offering our first technology grant to nonprofits.  We are providing pen testing, weekly cyber security video training, and phishing campaign training as part of that.  We wont be selecting the grant recipient for this until January.  Once I know who it is I can share the data with you.  Hope this helps.

-Steve

Steve Haviland
    CEO
    Think of IT Computer Services
    Wichita Falls, TX

940-692-1119   | www.thinkofitwichitafalls.com

• 3.  RE: Cybersecurity funding?

Posted Aug 27, 2019 15:08
    Excellent! Thanks, Steve!
    a

CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 4.  RE: Cybersecurity funding?

Posted Oct 15, 2019 17:30
    @Amy Sample Ward, if you'd like, I can ask a few nonprofit groups on LinkedIn to see if any organizations have received funding for cybersecurity investments.

Considering that 59.2% of respondents on NTEN's latest cybercrime report do not provide any cybersecurity training to staff on a regular basis - funding is needed so organizations can learn how to be prepared for online and network threats.

Chuck Spidell
    The Nonprofit WordPress Security Expert

• 5.  RE: Cybersecurity funding?

Posted Oct 15, 2019 17:32
    Hi @Chuck Spidell! Thanks for that offer. We have completed the report, actually. TAG just posted it today (NTEN will be posting on our site as well): http://bit.ly/2KaPDZE

NTEN will definitely be talking about this more and would love to have you help share to orgs you know as well. We have to change the level of investment foundations are making towards nonprofit capacity!​

CEO
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 6.  RE: Cybersecurity funding?

Posted Oct 15, 2019 17:44
    Oh cool!  I was looking for it since TAG asked for my thoughts on it.  About to do a cold email sequence out to nonprofits in Texas and Oklahoma about this as well.

Thank you for the heads up Amy!

Steve

Steve Haviland
    CEO
    Wichita Falls, TX
    www.thinkofitwichitafalls.com