Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: yesterday 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Short-term(?) phone solutions

• 1.  Short-term(?) phone solutions

Posted Dec 10, 2018 19:55
    I have a client nonprofit with 6 staff members that's been working out of the offices of a larger NPO since its inception, but now the larger group has grown and needs the space, so my client has to find their own space, including phones, internet, and all other comms (which had been provided by the host agency up till now).  They haven't picked a new place yet, and their lease runs out in Feb, so there is a definite possibility they may work as a virtual organization for a while.  Also, there's nothing core to their business processes that REQUIRES a physical location, so they might consider not leasing new space at all if they can't find something appropriate that's not a budget-buster.

Till now, their phone numbers have been extensions on the host agency's PBX with external DIDs on the host's phone exchange (804)555-xxxx, and we are trying to determine if they will be allowed to port or forward those numbers.  Aside from that, I'm trying to find options that will allow them to work virtually for a time and potentially then move to VOIP in their new offices (I have a local vendor that provides VOIP systems for nonprofits this size for $7/mo/extension plus about $20/mo/trunk, which I think is a great deal).

I'm considering Grasshopper or similar virtual PBX as well as Office 365 with the E5 Voice option.  Any feedback on these ideas or other suggestions?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Tom Anderson
    Founder
    IT4 Causes
    Midlothian, VA

• 2.  RE: Short-term(?) phone solutions

Posted 26 days ago

Wow, there's a lot of ways you could go with this.  If they don't need an autoattendant, you could just go with cell phones and Google Voice.

If they need more than that, the possibilites are nearly endless.

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 3.  RE: Short-term(?) phone solutions

Posted 26 days ago
    Take a look at Grasshopper for an adorable, more business-friendly alternative to Google Voice.

Peter Campbell
    Technology Solutions Provider
    Washington DC
    https://techcafeteria.com

• 4.  RE: Short-term(?) phone solutions

Posted 25 days ago
    I meant to say "affordable", but I think I'll let "adorable" stand. Not replying from my phone this time!

Peter Campbell
    Technology Solutions Provider
    Washington DC
    https://techcafeteria.com

• 5.  RE: Short-term(?) phone solutions

Posted 25 days ago
    We recently re-vamped our phone systems after sitting with the same solution for 3 years. The options have improved since we went virtual. Tried Grasshopper years ago, but wasn't ultimately happy with it.  This time, I've gone with DialPad for the following reasons: Very close integration with Uber Conference Calls and Google Calendars, price, and ultimately customer support.  I was replacing both Vonnage and GoToMeeting. Savings is huge by using Dialpad + Uber Conference ($10/mo). Uber has chrome extension and adds link directly when I'm creating a meeting in Google Calendar. One step, super easy.

Downside - not crazy about the Dialpad app on the cell, but overall it has been a great system. Highly recommend

LisaLane
    Nonprofit Garden
    Lisa@nonprofitgarden.com