Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Slack Account Type - Business or Pro

• 1.  Slack Account Type - Business or Pro

Posted Nov 27, 2018 15:01
    Greetings!

Reaching out for feedback regarding Slack accounts plans, and whether you all recommend Business or Pro.

It seems that the Pro account is slightly cheaper by $5/month and has all the usual abilities.

The difference, from what we know is - Business is $5 more per month, but may have better management of accounts. Being able to manage domains - add/remove users under our org's email domain as they come and leave the org automatically. It also includes more extensive admin console to view the org's usage from a bird's eye view.

Does anyone have any feedback if whether either type of plan, Business or Pro, has been essential for their organization? Or a recommendation for us? We are a staff of around 40, and though we love to be frugal, we also don't want to miss out on helpful tools!

Thanks

------------------------------
    Free Press
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Slack Account Type - Business or Pro

Posted Nov 27, 2018 18:06
    If you're using one workspace, then their nonprofit program might solve this:
    Slack for Nonprofits
    Slack Help Center remove preview
    Slack for Nonprofits
    The Slack for Nonprofits program offers eligible organizations a free or discounted upgrade of one workspace to a paid plan. Here are the details: Standard Plan: We offer workspaces with 250 or f...
    View this on Slack Help Center >

Ken Montenegro
    Information Technology Director
    Asian Americans Advancing Justice Los Angeles
    Los Angeles, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Slack Account Type - Business or Pro

Posted Nov 28, 2018 13:22
    Ditto Ken's recommendation - Slack for Nonprofit is the Business plan for free. That's what we use and it's fantastic, completely meeting our needs. Create your free workspace, then apply for the nonprofit upgrade.

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Slack Account Type - Business or Pro

Posted Nov 29, 2018 07:40
    While I'd echo the Slack for Nonprofits suggestion as my org is in the beginning stages of implementing Slack... it has come to my attention that it is the Standard version and if you want things like SSO, you need to upgrade to Slack Plus.  The price per user as a nonprofit is still noticeably lower than street rate (I calculated $1.87/mo/user), however if SSO and things like SCIM provisioning is important, you'll want to factor that into your considerations.  We will be exploring Okta for this very reason.

Amber Hobbs
    Senior Technology Manager
    Community Change
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Slack Account Type - Business or Pro

Posted Nov 29, 2018 11:02
    Update!!: please see the corrected post here. I actually was inquiring about ZOOM's options, and not Slack's. Sorry for any confusion.

Free Press

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Slack Account Type - Business or Pro

Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:23
    Hi Amber,
    We just switched to Slack for Nonprofits 2 months ago after using a similiar service for the past two years. I was able to lock it down to Google SSO domain logins only.

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

Tech Accelerate