Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 22 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Microsoft Home Use Program?

• 1.  Microsoft Home Use Program?

Posted Aug 06, 2019 13:28
    In the past it was fairly straight forward to take advantage of the Microsoft Home Use program that came with the licenses bought via Tech Soup. Now with whatever updates they have done I keep getting a notice that our organization is not eligible with no instructions on what to do to correct this. Can anyone offer any insight on what we need to do to be eligible with this new system?

------------------------------
    Fran Harrington
    @franharrington
    Media and Technology Manager
    International OCD Foundation
    Jamaica Plain, MA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Microsoft Home Use Program?

Posted Aug 07, 2019 11:19
    Edited by Jason Samuels Aug 07, 2019 11:22
    Are you trying to activate the benefit through their Home Use Program website, or using the program instructions email provided by an administrator at your organization?

Microsoft made significant changes to that program earlier this year, the biggest of which is that instead of the offering a perpetual Office license for $15 the program now grants a 30% discount on an Office 365 subscription. This ZDNet article explains further.

If you obtained your Office licenses through Techsoup and activated the benefit prior to the program changes taking effect, it may still be active. You or your system admin will need to log in to Microsoft's Volume License Service Center , then navigate to Software Assurance Benefits - Home Use Program. I just tested this for our org and it still worked and shows the benefit as active, but the final webpage in that sequence would not load in Chrome. Switched over to Internet Explorer and then it worked. And I should note that while I can see the benefit listed as active in the portal, I did not test further to go through the entire process to find out if the purchase link and program code still work to purchase an Office license. Can only say for sure that it appears still to be valid in our case.

Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline