Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: yesterday 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

19NTC Session Proposals are open!

• 1.  19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 09, 2018 15:01
    Woohoo! Unleash the hounds techies!

Speak
    Nten remove preview
    Speak
    Nonprofit Technology Conference educational sessions are collaborative and chosen by the nonprofit tech community. Whether you're a longtime presenter or are new to the NTEN community and have never presented at the NTC before, we encourage you to submit a session proposal. Session proposals open on July 9.
    View this on Nten >

------------------------------
    Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 2.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 17, 2018 08:52

Sorry, I'm just getting to this.

Here's a list of topics that grew out of discussions at the last NTC.  For them to happen, we'll need people to present them.  I'm interested in doing the session on staffing and am looking to get one or two people as co-presenters.

• IT - No Longer on the Chopping Block - ideas for showing IT's value to org (Brianna raises her hand)
    • Knowledge Management for IT
    • Integration of Systems
    • Automated Tools to Ease Your IT Life (ie- automated UAC control, etc)
    • How Much Is Enough? IT Staffing Levels  - Can also be MSP vs Internal vs Hybrid
    • HR Issues from an IT Perspective - onboarding/offboarding/other personnel issues, PIP litigation holds, retention policies, medical leave considerations, named accts vs group, logging for HR issues, etc
    • MFA and 2FA for your organization
    • GDPR a year later

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 3.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 17, 2018 14:53
    I'd be happy to co-present with you Colin!

I'm also willing to carve out time if folks need a sounding board or other support for their 19NTC sessions.

I was going to propose a session on incident response but don't know if I have the bandwidth to do that solo.
    --ken

• 4.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 17, 2018 15:10
    yay Ken!

Colin Boyle
    Step Up Suncoast
    Sarasota, FL
    cboyle@manateecaa.org

• 5.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 18, 2018 09:13
    I'm interested in the incident response thread. With the increasing data reporting issues raised by GDPR and potentially the new CA data privacy law I think that this becomes something that non-profits can't continue to ignore.

Matthew Eshleman
    Chief Technology Officer
    Community IT Innovators
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 23, 2018 11:50
    @Colin Boyle - I would be happy to present (or co-present) on 'MFA for your organization'. This is a topic I have a lot of experience in.

@Ken Montenegro - I'm also interested in presenting about Incident Response. I ​can provide the SOC/vendor perspective which I think would combine well with the non-profit perspective.​

Chris Schoenwetter
    Team Lead, Security Services
    American Technology Services, Inc. (ATS)
    cschoenwetter@networkats.com

• 7.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Aug 07, 2018 07:12
    I did a quick search for existing proposal submissions for both on-boarding and MFA but received a no results.
    I'll look to submit a proposal on these 2 subjects this week, so if you are interested in presenting DM me and we can make sure we are hitting the same topics in the learning objectives.

I have submitted a proposal on creating a risk prevention & management plan for your events... we had to do this for our events given the number of attendees and issues that continued to pull resources from our core program teams.  If you are interested in co-presenting, please DM me.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Portland in March!

James Stewart
    NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness
    Arlington, VA

• 8.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Aug 08, 2018 13:21
    Colin,

I could help out a staffing discussion.  I'd be bringing a Canadian perspective and a large organization perspective.  Might be applicable?

thanks,

Graham

Graham Reid
    Catholic Charities Society
    Edmonton, AB

• 9.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 17, 2018 09:40
    I'm excited. Missed the last one so I'm looking forward to this one. I posted a proposed preso but am looking for a co-presenter or two.

Gregg Banse
    Director of Marketing & Business Development
    Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
    Vergennes, Vermont
    https://www.lcmm.org
    https://greggbanse.com

• 10.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 18, 2018 14:33
    I've got a few ideas on presentations and not settled on specifics yet. Thinking about a Data Governance one though as that often gets neglected in nonprofits and lands in the IT head's lap. All the funders want us to be data-driven orgs but we often have not so great data in our CRMs and other apps.  Anyone else interested in that for a presentation?

Also been mulling over a non-IT one - Dealing with Founders Syndrome (what it is, types, impacts on org, strategies for coping with it, etc). Undecided if I want to go down that road yet though :)

Some topic ideas from the Session Advisory Comm are here:
    NTC Session Proposal Suggested Topics

And don't forget that there's a new session type this year that is perfect for IT topics- 30 minute Tactical Sessions:
    https://www.nten.org/article/19ntc-session-proposals-updates-changes/

Dar Veverka
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 11.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 23, 2018 11:35
    Dar, data governance is a critical topic and I'd love to present with you on the topic. Whether we're talking about CRM or GDPR (or other topics), we keep coming back to who is in charge of systems and integrations, who defines data dictionaries and maintains them, and how are the needs of the various business units and departments within the organization represented in the data milieu. Nonprofits need greater awareness of the issues, and successful models for doing this work at organizations of different sizes.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 12.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Jul 24, 2018 19:01
    @Isaac Shalev - Have interest from Caitlin Gilmore over in the Data group as well. Working on the proposal posting now! Definitely an interesting and important topic.

No takers on tackling Founders Syndrome with me? Shocking :D  Still undecided on whether I wish to. I figure I'll either be talking to an empty room or an overflowing one on that topic.

Dar Veverka
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 13.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Aug 07, 2018 10:28
    On the Decision Makers call last week, I floated the idea of a password management session and heard support for the topic. My organization has been using a password manager for several years and it has proven it's value time and again. Dar suggested making it a technical session (new 30 minutes format) which I'm inclined to do. Would there be anyone interested in presenting with me? I'm asking prior to submitting the session since it's my first submission and two heads are better than one.

Thanks!

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

• 14.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Aug 07, 2018 13:00
    @Dar Veverka I submitted a tactical proposal for getting data to the dashboard.  ​I too am seeing the "data driven" issue and thought I could present how we are using data from various platforms and presenting them in different ways via dashboards.  If you or others want to collaborate on a larger session, I'd be happy to co-present and/or update my submission to take into consideration a larger topic with outcomes.

James Stewart
    NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness
    Arlington, VA

• 15.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Aug 08, 2018 11:44
    Hi James!

I think Data Viz is an entire session by itself- could be either tactile or full session. Glad to see you submitted it. There's practically an entire Data Track at the rate we're submitting them. Hmmmmm...... maybe that will end up as a track in 2020.

Dar Veverka
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 16.  RE: 19NTC Session Proposals are open!

Posted Aug 12, 2018 20:43
    Edited by Dar Veverka Aug 12, 2018 20:45
    Submissions close this Friday, August 17th. Get those proposals in - we always need more IT ones!

I'm working on the Knowledge Management for IT session idea. This is KM and going beyond just document management systems. Any interested co-people for it?

Dar Veverka
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD