Technology Decision Makers

last person joined: 17 days ago 

A group for those in nonprofit IT decision-making roles to connect with peers and share best practices. This Technology Decision Makers group is for nonprofit IT or MIS Directors/Managers as well as CIOs and CTOs to connect with their peers and share best practices. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: hardware and software management, product reviews, emerging technology, best practices, collaborating effectively with other departments, and management conundrums. Membership is restricted to IT staff at nonprofit organizations.

Managed Wordpress hosting recommendations?

• 1.  Managed Wordpress hosting recommendations?

Posted Dec 06, 2019 16:55

Hi tech decision-makers--

I have a client who is looking to move off of Dreamhost to a managed Wordpress hosting provider for several sites. They want someone to handle their updates to the Wordpress core and plug-ins, implementation of basic security features, etc.  If you use managed Wordpress hosting and are happy with your provider, please send their name my way.

Thanks!

-LJ

------------------------------
    Lisa Jervis
    Principal Consultant
    Oakland, CA
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Managed Wordpress hosting recommendations?

Posted Dec 13, 2019 04:33
    Edited by Chuck Spidell Dec 13, 2019 04:34

@Lisa Jervis I wrote an article that your client might find helpful, Top 4 Web Hosting Providers for Your Nonprofit's WordPress Website. It discusses the features and benefits between WP Engine, Flywheel, Kinsta, and Pantheon.

I've used all of the providers in the article and recently moved to Kinsta. The customer service has been stellar, speed is ultra-fast, the control panel is modern and robust. Their blog is packed with very useful resources for WordPress.

Kinsta is different because of how they use the Google Cloud Platform for their hosting service and don't offer shared hosting. It provides a security boost because your website is contained in its own bubble and safe from other websites that aren't being maintained.

A few notes:

• WP Engine bought Flywheel so they're basically the same company
    • Flywheel and Kinsta offer free migrations from Dreamhost
    • WP Engine, Flywheel, and Kinsta offer discounts to nonprofits (coupon codes on the article)
    • Pantheon is ideal for high-traffic sites but you'll need to plan for the extra cost

Chuck Spidell
    The Nonprofit WordPress Security Expert

picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard