Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: yesterday 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Best Email Marketing Platforms

• 1.  Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted Nov 30, 2016 18:34

Hi all,

We're looking for a email marketing platform for a new project in our org that we don't want to use our current platform database for. We need it to have some tracking capabilities, but won't be doing actions or a lot of segmentation,  and we don't need to hold more than around 30-40,000 contacts. We looked at MailChimp and Constant Contact. I was wondering if there is anything new and better out there that I may not have heard of. And old post here from 2013 mentioned the ones above plus Vertical Response. Are there others we should look into? 

Thanks in advance!

Vanessa

------------------------------
    Vanessa Barrington
    Primary Contact
    Justice in Aging
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted Dec 01, 2016 08:54

Hi Vanessa – We are currently using Pardot, which is owned by Salesforce, and people seem to find it fairly intuitive to use. It does have a lot of fancy segmentation options, however, which you may not want to pay for if you're not going to use them.

We previously used Vertical Response (before my time) and people did not like it from a mechanical (building and sending) point of view.

Alex Walker

• 3.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted Dec 01, 2016 09:02

Hi Vanessa,

Check out Campaign Monitor. Much like MailChimp and has a great template builder if you're in need of that feature.

Good luck!

Rachel Clemens
    President
    Creative Suitcase - Nonprofit Communications
    creativesuitcase.com
    Austin TX

• 4.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted Dec 01, 2016 09:56

Vanessa, there are so many options! At the small business end you might consider emma, get response, aweber, icontat, bombomb, and dozens more. At the more enterprise level you have pardot, eloqua, silverpop and many others.

Usually, a key consideration is which service offers integration with your CRM, and whether that integration actually matches your workflow.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 5.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted Dec 01, 2016 11:27

Thanks everyone for the responses. Super helpful. We won't be using a CRM for this project. Just sending emails and tracking responses, so something simple is best!

Vanessa Barrington
    Primary Contact
    Justice in Aging
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted Dec 02, 2016 10:33

I've really been pleased with MailChimp. I've found the upgrade to $20/month for email automation to be very valuable as well. The templates are easy to use and the additional segmentation capabilities have resulted generally in higher engagement rates. Happy to discuss more!

Elizabeth Brigham
    Director of Marketing and Communications
    Timshel

• 7.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted 23 days ago

Hi all,

We are trying to create a small campaign and created a template in MailChimp that looks great. However, when we sent the campaign to our own email addresses as a test, it wouldn't go through. Then we created a second test, to our personal gmail accounts. It worked perfectly.  Apparently our receiving-end server is blocking the campaign.

We use Outlook for most email functions but aren't sure how to create something that looks so nice. We are only sending this to about 20 individuals so can easily do one-by-one. Just want it to look nice!

Any suggestions?!

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Lisa Demer
    Communications Manager
    Rasmuson Foundation
    Anchorage, Alaska

• 8.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi Vanessa,

Of the options mentioned in this thread, I would definitely going the MailChimp route.

Since you have a fair amount of addresses, if you are ever looking for added features like automation or integrations with other systems, my favorite for that is dotmailer.

Good luck!

-Ceci

Ceci Dadisman
    Digital Marketing Manager
    FORM
    Shaker Heights, OH

• 9.  RE: Best Email Marketing Platforms

Posted 19 days ago
    Hello All,
    We use ActiveCampaign. The power of automation cannot be understated - it has saved me hundreds of hours plus made our email management flow far more efficient and profitable (as in memberships and donations).

Gregg Banse
    Director of Marketing & Business Development
    Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
    Vergennes, Vermont
    https://www.lcmm.org
    https://greggbanse.com