Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Web analytics: mobile vs. desktop vs. tablet

• 1.  Web analytics: mobile vs. desktop vs. tablet

Posted Jul 31, 2019 10:21
    Edited by Redante Asuncion-Reed Jul 31, 2019 10:21
    Hello all

Would anyone know any links, books, studies, blog posts or other info that delve into the topic of differences in web metrics coming from different devices? I am asking specifically about articles that explain differences in web analytics between mobile vs. desktop vs. tablet such as bounce rates, average session duration, and other metrics.

In my own observations of our metrics over time, there is a pronounced difference between mobile vs. desktop and tablet traffic. Mobile generally has much higher bounce rates and shorter average session durations than desktop or tablet.

I am wondering if this is something I should worry about or something that is just considered normal and not at all unusual.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Web analytics: mobile vs. desktop vs. tablet

Posted Aug 01, 2019 11:27

This is an interesting question, and prompted me to look at our analytics. While our bounce rate and session duration are similar for desktop and tablet, our mobile bounce rates are higher and session durations are shorter.

I would guess that the purpose for someone visiting a website on their phone is different from what they want to achieve using their laptop or tablet. But I would be interested in any research related to this.

Sarah

Sarah Meyer Hughes  hughess@ada.org
    Manager, Analytics & Innovation
    Center for Professional Success

American Dental Association  211 E. Chicago Ave.  Chicago,  IL 60611  www.ADA.org  Success.ADA.org

• 3.  RE: Web analytics: mobile vs. desktop vs. tablet

Posted Aug 01, 2019 11:39
    Normal and not at all unusual.

Your mobile audience is behaving like many nonprofit website mobile audiences: they're in a hurry, they're bouncing at higher rates, etc.

However, I've had some clients where mobile audience conversion rates are as good as (and sometimes better) than desktop audiences... and I've had clients where the exact opposite was true.

As always, I'll note that each nonprofit has a unique configuration of analytics.

If anyone in this group is interested in learning how to identify and analyze your mobile audience in Google Analytics, join me for Advanced Google Analytics: https://www.nten.org/event/course-advanced-google-analytics/

Best,
    Yesenia

Yesenia Sotelo
    Digital Skills Trainer & Web Developer
    SmartCause Digital
    @silverbell

• 4.  RE: Web analytics: mobile vs. desktop vs. tablet

Posted Aug 01, 2019 11:41
    Bad link, sorry! Correct link for Advanced GA training: https://www.nten.org/course/advanced-google-analytics/

Yesenia Sotelo
    Digital Skills Trainer & Web Developer
    SmartCause Digital
    @silverbell

• 5.  RE: Web analytics: mobile vs. desktop vs. tablet

Posted Aug 02, 2019 07:39
    Thank you Sarah and Yesenia! Someone suggested to me and I used this tool to measure pageload of our website:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

There was a big difference in our mobile score vs. desktop score where mobile was much lower. The tool gives some suggestions on how to remedy the situation which I will take to our web vendor.

So between these scores and naturally expected behavior of mobile users, this explains the big disparity between mobile and tablet/desktop for us. Doing the fixes can mitigate some of the differences it looks like.

Thanks

Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC