Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 12 days ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

SM policies dealing w/ political activism

• 1.  SM policies dealing w/ political activism

Posted Apr 19, 2017 14:44
    Hi all -  I'm am looking for some good examples of social media policies that deal specifically with political activism. I work for an education association and we're in process of implementing a new social media policy... Currently we require employees that blend their personal and professional social media accounts to include a disclaimer along the lines of "views are my own..." We encourage folks to share their points of view online, but to do so responsibly, etc. The question came up as to whether an employee could partake in political activism online using their blended work/personal account (is the disclaimer enough?) or whether they should use a completely separate account (unaffiliated with the organization at all) for that sort of thing? Or, whether we shouldn't allow that at all.

Two additional details that relate:
    - We do not have an organizational policy that limits political participation in one's personal life.
    - While we are a non-profit, we are a membership organization and our members are all over the political spectrum.

Just wonder how other organizations handle this sort of thing.

TIA!

------------------------------
    Renee Rybak Lang
    Communications Director
    National Association of State Boards of Education
    Alexandria, VA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: SM policies dealing w/ political activism

Posted Jun 15, 2017 14:21
    Hi @Renee Rybak Lang,

I'm sorry this post got so stale! What did you end up finding out?

I remember a similar convo came up not toooo long ago: https://community.nten.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=247&MID=40240. Here's an older convo but has good info: https://community.nten.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=247&MID=30892.

I swear I saw @Lisa Jervis and/or @Ken Montenegro talking about something like this recently but I can't find it. Maybe it just feels like a convo they would contribute to. ;)

Bethany Lister
    Community Engagement Manager
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    bethany@nten.org

• 3.  RE: SM policies dealing w/ political activism

Posted Jun 20, 2017 19:37
    I don't think it was me posting about this as social media is far from my area of expertise (tho I appreciate the thought @Bethany Lister :) ), but I do know the following is strongly recommended:

I'm sure others have way more to say but HTH!

-LJ

Lisa Jervis
    Principal Consultant
    Information Ecology, LLC
    Oakland, CA

• 4.  RE: SM policies dealing w/ political activism

Posted Jun 22, 2017 18:11
    Ooh, I wonder if @Hannah Roditi can help out here.
    Hannah's organization runs training in this realm and may have some resources close to hand.

Lyndal Cairns
    Membership and Engagement Director
    Nonprofit Technology Network

• 5.  RE: SM policies dealing w/ political activism

Posted Jun 23, 2017 10:21
    That would be helpful!  After sharing our policy with the team (which does incorporate many practices recommended here) our team is just tripping over all the "gray areas"  and I'm not sure how to make it any clearer!

Renee Rybak Lang
    Communications Director
    National Association of State Boards of Education
    Alexandria, VA