Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Starting a Web Governance team?

• 1.  Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 09, 2019 17:41
    Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for advice on establishing a Web Governance team, so I hope I'm in the right place. Our current website has experienced a lot of content creep over the years, where pages get created in a reactionary way without much intention, and are sometimes quickly forgotten about. We are launching a brand new wordpress website very soon, and are looking to establish standards to ensuring new pages/content fits the strategy of the organization. I think a web governance team might be the right fit for that, but I couldn't find much in the way of resources when I searched the forums. Two months ago I started our Data Governance team (because of course we're also migrating to Salesforce at the same time) and I based the team charter off one that was shared in the forums.

Do you have any recommendations or resources on how to start a web governance team?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Stephanie Henyard
    Systems Administrator
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 04:59
    Stephanie,

One resource you can check out is the detailed framework provided by Lisa Welchman in her book Managing Chaos.
    https://www.amazon.com/Managing-Chaos-Digital-Governance-Design/dp/1933820888/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=managing+chaos&qid=1554886616&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I have also found that universities, because of the their often complex suite of websites and digital assets, have solid governance programs that are publicly available on the web.   Wheaton's a good example.  You can use these models to build a governance work team to author the governance and standards.   https://www.wheaton.edu/about-wheaton/technology-at-wheaton/technology-governance/web-governance/
    Wesleyan is another: https://www.wesleyan.edu/communications/facstaff/web.html#

Best,

Joe

Joe Keenan
    Hudson, NY
    joe@joekeenan.net

• 3.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 05:43
    Hi Stephanie--I am sharing this article written by a colleague of mine about a mutual client, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. The article describes the process their organization went through, and there is a link to the initial governance handbook (and style guide) that they used.

Additionally, please bookmark this item:

I, along with Hilary Marsh and Carrie Hane, researched content strategy in associations last year. The results will be published next month but there is some preliminary information available. There may be some information you can glean to help you think about a better strategy for creating and publishing your digital content going forward.

Regards,
    Dina

• 4.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 11:37
    Hi Stephanie

Shane Diffily provides courses and videos on developing web governance strategy. 

Temi

Temi Adewumi
    Principal
    TAGb Consulting
    www.tagb.ca

• 5.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 13:21
    Hey, this is my go-to article https://gathercontent.com/blog/a-four-step-road-map-for-good-content-governance

I think you'll find more resources with the keywords 'content governance' than 'Web governance'

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 6.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 17:24
    Thank you everyone! I'm sharing these resources with my colleagues.

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

• 7.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 11, 2019 11:49
    Great resources! I'm going to be bookmarking these myself, as I'm following a current discussion on creating a Governance System elsewhere for open source communities.

Kimberly Lipari
    CEO, CoFounder
    Valet.io
    Distributed

kim@valet.io

• 8.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Apr 12, 2019 09:28
    Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for starting this thread.  The timing is excellent and I shared with my team as well.

- Karin

Karin Rockwin
    Director, Website Properties
    Covenant House
    New York, NY

• 9.  RE: Starting a Web Governance team?

Posted Jun 18, 2019 12:45
    ​Hello!  This is a great thread.  Does anyone have guidelines on acceptable payment methods for online giving?  For example, we use BBMS, but are now being asked to use PayPal because of the Venmo option.  So data will flow through systems differently.

Any thoughts on standardizing that?

Melissa Berrett
    Director of IT
    Oregon Health and Science University Foundation
    Portland, OR