Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

ROI for Digital Marketing

• 1.  ROI for Digital Marketing

Posted Jan 14, 2019 09:29

Hello!
    I work for a startup nonprofit and we are looking to completely build out our digital footprint. Our organization is currently debating between two companies. However, we want to make sure that other nonprofits have had success with implementing a 12 month, digital marketing campaign.
    What I'm looking for is research targeted to the financial results of a digital marketing campaign – Is there a rough estimate of how much money we can plan to raise through this effort? We need a number to plug into our forecast plan for our board. And, to give ourselves a sense of whether or not our efforts are working. In other words, what is the percentage (or dollar) increase we can expect to see in Individual giving? Any indication of what would be a good target would be very helpful!
    Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Tina Flynn
    Friends of Intergenerational Schools
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: ROI for Digital Marketing

Posted Jan 18, 2019 17:11
    Hi Tina,

Hopefully others in this group with more fundraising experience can weigh in, but I can speak to our recent experience. We tried some social ads for the first time, and also had a hard time figuring out how we could quantify our success, mainly because we had nothing to compare it to. We decided to run a small pilot, just to see what the response was like, before making more long-term plans. Another factor to think about is how targeted the campaign is, and whether you have a list you are able to upload to Facebook, etc.

Sarah

Sarah Meyer Hughes
    Manager, Analytics and Innovation
    American Dental Association
    Chicago, IL
    Community Organizer, NTEN Digital Communications Group

• 3.  RE: ROI for Digital Marketing

Posted Mar 30, 2019 18:36

Hi, @Tina Flynn ,
    That is the $̶4̶0̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ question
                      $̶7̶,̶0̶0̶0̶
                                  uh, question. But I think it's answerable.

I suggest you start with the numbers that you have and work your way back to your new marketing efforts. If your donors come from your mailing list, you could start with equations like:-

What is the average worth of a donor? = A
    There are a few ways to calculate this, but for this process, I suggest you look at first year donations because it sounds like you'll want results in a year or less.

What percentage of your database are donors? = B

AxB = what one subscriber is worth.

How many website visits (or visits to a relevant section of your website) does it take to get one subscriber in your database? = D
    This is how many subscribers came from your website/section as a percentage of your overall traffic to that site/section. Usually, this will be recorded as a source code or similar in your database.

How much does it cost you to get one visitor to your website (or relevant section)? = E
    You might get this from the CPC of your current digital advertising.

DxE = how much a subscriber costs you to get.

From there, you can work out how much you're likely to get for what you can put into marketing. I usually start with this equation then push my budget up until I find the magic number of possible spend to donor ratio. Even if you don't have part of this data, sometimes you can make an educated guess based on info from the development or database team.

This sounds like an exciting project. Best of luck!

Lyndal Frazier-Cairns (pronouns: she/her)
    No Pants Consulting | Digital marketing for nonprofits and small business
    http://www.nopants.me