Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: yesterday 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Summer Communications

• 1.  Summer Communications

Posted Jun 20, 2018 15:00
    When school lets out for the summer, most nonprofits don't get to go on vacation. At one organization where I worked, summer was the busiest time of year as we prepared for our fall conference. At another, summer was hectic with preparations for the school year. At others, summer is a slower time that allows work on important projects. How does summer impact your nonprofit's digital communications messaging or workload?

Deckchairs on a beach

------------------------------
    bj
    --
    BJ Wishinsky
    Mountain View, CA

• 2.  RE: Summer Communications

Posted Jun 22, 2018 10:30

In my former position, we also had to be careful when taking off vacation time since our conference was always in September.

On the communications side, I think you just have to know your audience. We try not to send communications when we know our dentists tend to be on vacation, or when our dental students are on school breaks. Two summers ago, we sent an email out the Friday before the Fourth of July holiday break. Nobody opened it. Probably should have seen that one coming.

Sarah Meyer Hughes  hughess@ada.org
    Manager, Analytics & Innovation
    Center for Professional Success

American Dental Association  211 E. Chicago Ave.  Chicago,  IL 60611  www.ADA.org  Success.ADA.org

• 3.  RE: Summer Communications

Posted Jun 30, 2018 10:36
    Summer is definitely our busiest time of year. We run two campaigns each with 3-4 emails each. We also have a holiday card sale (2-3 emails), several events (5-6 emails), a monthly giving upgrade (2 emails), and any rapid response for heat waves. It's also when we write all of our DM for September through December. Before you know it, it's Grandparents Day and we're doing cultivation.

Despite the lift of creating a campaign from scratch, our summer campaign is my favorite. It's new a topic every year and it's always focused on something tangible like adding new meal recipients to our rolls or purchasing kitchen equipment. I think there's something incredibly fun in talking about the essential elements that make our operation run every day -- and telling the stories of people who are impacted when these elements break down. Does anyone else find this challenge riveting? I find it a refreshing change of pace from the deadlines, goals, and double, triple, quadruple matches that make up so many of the emails we see these days.

I'm sure other folks use the summer months for planning and analysis (and we definitely do too!), but the biggest window we have for accomplishing miscellaneous projects -- and the slowest time of year -- is now January through early March.

Hayden Golden
    Marketing & Communications Manager
    Citymeals on Wheels
    Brooklyn, NY

• 4.  RE: Summer Communications

Posted Jul 10, 2018 21:16
    Being a newbie at this museum I made the mistake of thinking my summers would be a bit more relaxed since all the marketing is done in the winter for summer camps, exhibits, and professional development opportunities. I forgot about gathering content for next year. I didn't realize that I'd be far more active gathering photos, feedback, videos, and reporting on the happenings of the summer. I've been in warp drive since we opened in May and will remain so until well after we close in October. But I love every minute of it.

Gregg Banse
    Director of Marketing & Business Development
    Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
    Vergennes, Vermont
    https://www.lcmm.org
    https://greggbanse.com

• 5.  RE: Summer Communications

Posted Jul 14, 2018 13:29
    Like @Hayden Golden, I always find telling impact stories about real people riveting whether I'm writing or reading them.

@Gregg Banse, congrats on the (relatively) new job! Glad you are loving it. Your schedule is a perfect example of how busy digital communicators are year round!​​

BJ Wishinsky
    Mountain View, CA

• 6.  RE: Summer Communications

Posted Jul 14, 2018 14:37
    Thanks @BJ Wishinsky!  It's almost a year now - Aug 12. ​

Gregg Banse
    Director of Marketing & Business Development
    Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
    Vergennes, Vermont