Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: yesterday 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

• 1.  Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 03, 2018 12:58
    My organization has been using Luminate Online for many years for our fundraising and communications. Price is high, customer service is moderate at best and technology roadmap doesn't seem to be moving as we need it.

We are a small organization, we've just launched a new website (formerly used Convio CMS, now Drupal) and I am looking for a new solution that will allow my team less time in code trying to create responsive donation forms and emails to match our new website, so we can spend more time on what matters - supporter stewardship, custom segmentation, testing, optimizing, etc. We will still be using Raiser's Edge as our database of record, we don't need advocacy tools; just the basics: donation forms, emails, p2p, reporting/tracking and automation.

Does anyone have suggestions on an up-to-date, easy to use fundraising/communications software platform or perhaps a source for an unbiased comparison of platforms out there? For those of you with software that is working for you, what is your organization using?

------------------------------
    Jeanne Horne
    Morris Animal Foundation
    Denver, CO

• 2.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 03, 2018 13:38

We saw a demo of FrontStream that was very interesting.

https://www.frontstream.com/

We haven't gotten a look at the backend yet, but it seems like they already do pretty much everything Luminate is promising to build sometime in the future.

Regards,

Brian Patrick Mucha

Associate Director, Web Applications

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago Foundation

T 312.227.7286 | M  312.590.9557 | SMS  312.590.9557 | bmucha@luriechildrens.org

225 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2991

• 3.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 04, 2018 15:36
    Edited by Dale Anania May 04, 2018 15:43
      |   view attached
    https://www.slideshare.net/ishalev1/solving-the-crm-website-and-email-equation-18ntc

Jeanne, The Marine Mammal Center won't actually be investigating our move for a year or so, but we too are looking for a Luminate replacement for the same reasons. Let me know what you find out!  At NTEN I did talk to several people who are happy with ActionKit, but their groups are more advocacy focused, (though ActionKit may handle all our needs). There is also free software from a nonprofit called GiveLively.org that we'll be looking at next year.  I came away from the conference convinced that the smartest thing to do is invest in a highly skilled consultant who specializes in matching a nonprofit with the right products for their needs. I attended a talk with Isaac Shalev from SAGE 70 and was impressed, but there are others out there too. Check out the notes from the 2018 NTEN conference on Solving the CRM + Email + Website Equation and How Digital First Tech Transformed the ASPCAs Online Program.

Dale Anania
    Direct Response Officer
    The Marine Mammal Center
    Sausalito, CA
    pronouns: she/her/hers

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 07, 2018 18:07
    Thank you for the advice and link to session notes.

I will certainly report with anything I find!

Jeanne Horne
    Morris Animal Foundation
    Denver, CO

• 5.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 04, 2018 08:58
    My org is in a similar boat (but we're using Blackbaud's NetCommunity) and the flexibility of donation forms and coding them into mobile-friendly pages is very time-consuming.

I've been researching DonorBox (Free Donate Button - Donorbox Nonprofit Fundraising Software): seems simple, with three donation page options (embedding on website, directing traffic to donorbox.org, or a cool new pop-up donation form). As well, they offer monthly donation options. Downside is that there is no plug-in to import donations. Fees are based on the  amount of donations raised.

Looking forward to following this thread!

Michelle Tribe
    Coordinator: Electronic Giving
    Ottawa Humane Society
    Ottawa, ON

• 6.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 04, 2018 09:06
    We're in the same boat at my organization and almost went with Engaging Networks as a replacement for Luminate. The only area where they fell short was advocacy, so if you don't need that piece of the system, it might be worth looking into. They integrate with RE and seem to innovate/update a lot faster than Blackbaud at what I believe is a lower price point. https://www.engagingnetworks.net/us/

Following this thread for any other suggestions out there as well!

Sydney Moyer
    Digital Strategist
    Conservation Law Foundation
    Boston, MA

• 7.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 07, 2018 18:11
    Engaging Networks is interesting. We are not concerned about the advocacy part. So this has risen to the top of my list.

Thanks!

Jeanne Horne
    Morris Animal Foundation
    Denver, CO

• 8.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 04, 2018 11:43
    There are lots of options in the marketplace for doing what Luminate does (or should do). The limitation you're facing is that you need to sync back to RE. That's not a core strength of RE, and it introduces some complexity to the project. There are some options for doing this - Omatic is probably the best-known integration service for RE. Please contact me directly if you'd like talk further, my organization consults with nonprofits on these issues regularly (including small ones!)

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 9.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 07, 2018 15:47

We have been using a wonderful solution here at Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Engaging Networks!  It has cut our costs and we have been able to cut our processing time moving gifts into RE7 by 1/10 the time it used to take us.  With all the time savings and cutting of costs we have been able to spend more time on marketing and on line fundraising!  We are very satisfied with costs and time savings!  We are raising more money with less time and costs!  We will process over 60,000 transactions online this year.  Would be happy to talk to anyone about more of the details.  Please feel free to contact me at cmollenhauer(at)Cornell.edu

Engaging Networks has been very helpful to get us set up and running and helping with our technical needs along the way.  A wonderful group to work with!

-Charles Mollenhauer
    Database Manager
    Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Charles Mollenhauer
    Database Manager
    Cornell Lab of Ornithology
    Ithaca, NY

• 10.  RE: Looking for a Luminate Online replacement

Posted May 08, 2018 09:23
    Curious, have you looked at Springboard?

Anne Stefanyk
    CEO & Drupal/WordPress Strategist
    Kanopi Studios
    San Francisco, CA