Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: yesterday 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Website Accessibility

• 1.  Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 28, 2018 16:02
    Hi everyone,

We're about to start a website redesign, for a number of reasons, but one of the most important to us is accessibility. We work in the disabilities community, and we want to be sure that our website is usable for all. Does anyone have recommendations for consultants/developers who would be worth talking to? Or any suggestions for best practices? We've done a little bit of digging and have a "wishlist" of sorts, but there's only so much that we'd be able to do in house.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Aaron Bicart
    Development Associate
    Learning Rights Law Center
    Los Angeles

• 2.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 29, 2018 10:25
    Hi Aaron,

You might check out my agency, Mighty Citizen.

Not only do we build every site with accessibility in mind from the beginning, but we also just offered a webinar in early March on How to Make Your Website Accessible. At that link, you can either access the slides or watch the video for free.

Please let me know if you'd like to learn more,
    Rachel

Rachel Clemens
    Mighty Citizen
    mightycitizen.com
    Austin, TX

• 3.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 30, 2018 10:50
      |   view attached
    @Aaron Bicart my association has been working on website accessibility for the past year and one of the biggest things I've learned is that it's an ongoing process. We've been fortunate to work with a company and platform called SiteImprove, to help us through the process.

Also, at last year's 2017 NTC there was an extremely informative session titled "Simple Ways to Evaluate and Improve Your Site's Accessibility." I've attached the session notes, which include contact details for the speakers. Perhaps you could reach out and see if they have further advice?

Good luck!​

Katie Call
    American Dental Association
    Chicago, IL

• 4.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Apr 02, 2018 18:10
    Hey Aaron,

Here's some tools that may be helpful:

Chuck Spidell