Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 6 days ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Website Accessibility

• 1.  Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 28, 2018 16:02
    Hi everyone,

We're about to start a website redesign, for a number of reasons, but one of the most important to us is accessibility. We work in the disabilities community, and we want to be sure that our website is usable for all. Does anyone have recommendations for consultants/developers who would be worth talking to? Or any suggestions for best practices? We've done a little bit of digging and have a "wishlist" of sorts, but there's only so much that we'd be able to do in house.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Aaron Bicart
    Development Associate
    Learning Rights Law Center
    Los Angeles
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 29, 2018 10:25
    Hi Aaron,

You might check out my agency, Mighty Citizen.

Not only do we build every site with accessibility in mind from the beginning, but we also just offered a webinar in early March on How to Make Your Website Accessible. At that link, you can either access the slides or watch the video for free.

Please let me know if you'd like to learn more,
    Rachel

Rachel Clemens
    Mighty Citizen
    mightycitizen.com
    Austin, TX

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 30, 2018 10:50
      |   view attached
    @Aaron Bicart my association has been working on website accessibility for the past year and one of the biggest things I've learned is that it's an ongoing process. We've been fortunate to work with a company and platform called SiteImprove, to help us through the process.

Also, at last year's 2017 NTC there was an extremely informative session titled "Simple Ways to Evaluate and Improve Your Site's Accessibility." I've attached the session notes, which include contact details for the speakers. Perhaps you could reach out and see if they have further advice?

Good luck!​

Katie Call
    American Dental Association
    Chicago, IL

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Apr 02, 2018 18:10
    Hey Aaron,

Here's some tools that may be helpful:

Chuck Spidell

ILLUSIO | Design Magic for Nonprofits & Changemakers
    503-888-1892 | illusio.com

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 26, 2019 18:43
    Great advice by previous posters.  I too love SiteImprove (if you can afford it).  I also find WAVE and WebAIM to be invaluable resources, and I use WAVE's Chrome extension to take notes on our current site and other sites I like in preparation for our redesign.

There were a couple of sessions at this year's NTEN conference that you might be interested in that discussed accessibility.  In particular, you may want to check out the session materials and collaborative notes for the Inclusive Design - How Addressing Accessibility Benefits Everyone session that was presented by MacArthur Foundation, WebAIM, and Forum One.  I have never personally worked with Forum One, but after discussions with them at the conference, I plan to send them an RFP.

Heidi Satter
    Director, Web Services
    Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
    Arlington, VA

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 26, 2019 18:59
    I am so happy to see this discussion. It's important (and easier) to achieve accessibility when you plan up front vs. retrofitting.

We also serve people with disabilities, specifically people with visual impairments, dyslexia, and physical mobility issues. I used the following guidelines when developing our accessibility requirements:

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1

https://webaim.org/standards/wcag/WCAG2Checklist.pdf

In terms of vendors, we built sites in Wordpress with Lion Interactive, and Drupal sites with Kalamuna, both out of the Bay Area. I did an accessibility panel with Andrew Mallis of Kalamuna in Portland.

I'm also happy to chat offline about our experiences and learning building for audiences with disabilities. Feel free to DM me directly.

Mario

Mario Oliveros
    Director
    Benetech
    Palo Alto, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 26, 2019 19:03

Hi all!

Great to see this discussion! We went through a project to convert the WCAG requirements (which can be a bit confusing) to plain-English. Every requirement is spelled out in an easy (or easier) way. At risk of being commercial in nature, I'm always super hesitant to direct anyone to our site on this forum, but think this is super pertinent to this conversation. Please checkout https://mondaylovesyou.com/web-accessibility for all of this content. Feel free to shoot me a note with any questions!

Best,
    Kevin

Kevin LaManna
    Principal | Monday Loves You
    Chicago, IL

www.mondaylovesyou.com

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 27, 2019 10:28
    Hi everyone -

This is a great discussion and agree on the tools mentioned previously. I'd like to take it a step further and suggest that web accessibility is more than what is traditionally viewed as having the site be readable by screen reader software. At DevCollaborative, we interpret accessibility to also mean: clear language and user paths; clean and modern visual design with proper contrast; a responsive site that people can use no matter what size, class of device, or bandwidth connection they've got. Accessibility should be prioritized during all stages of a website build and this doesn't always mean expensive testing or expensive tools.

We weren't able to speak at this year's NTC due to some unfortunate circumstances, but last year, Johanna Bates from DevCollaborative presented a session called: Website Accessibility Is A Social Justice Issue. Here are the collaborative notes from the session with the slide deck included. In it we offer suggestions for different approaches for achieving website accessibility.

Happy to chat more!

Erin

Erin Fogel
    Co-Founder
    DevCollaborative
    erin@devcollaborative.com

Tech Accelerate

• 9.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 28, 2019 11:39
    Such a great discussion on a topic that is becoming more and more of a forefront issue!

I read somewhere once that scans can test only about 30% of a website's accessibility. You need a human for the remaining 70%. This covers everything from code to actual UX. 

Maybe having a few disabled folks walk through the site before you launch would be helpful, to get a sense of those 'uncodable' issues :)

Tech Accelerate

• 10.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Mar 27, 2019 10:33
    Hi Aaron! My team just covered this in a recent article. Our VP of Product Development answered a few questions that could help you as far as best practices go. https://www.qgiv.com/blog/website-accessibility/

I hope this helps your team with any questions you might have throughout the process!

Maryjane Ragusa
    Community Manager
    Qgiv, Inc.

Tech Accelerate

• 11.  RE: Website Accessibility

Posted Apr 02, 2019 12:52
    Hi, Aaron! I recommend checking out Advomatic as a possible web developer. I connected with them at 18NTC and was impressed with both their knowledge about and commitment to web accessibility and also with the list of organizations they've done sites for.
    ​​

BJ Wishinsky
    Inclusive Communication for Social Good
    Mountain View, CA

Tech Accelerate