Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: yesterday 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Acquisition marketing platforms

• 1.  Acquisition marketing platforms

Posted Feb 16, 2018 14:27
    Hi all,

I'm putting together an acquisition strategy right now for our email list, and am considering managed acquisition marketing platforms like Permission Data or Doubleclick Bid Manager, and also self-serve platforms like the Adwords Display Network. Has anyone ever set up and executed a successful acquisition campaign using these tools? Any tips on maximizing ROI or a particular tool that is best suited to this work for nonprofits?

Thanks for your insight,
    Sydney

------------------------------
    Sydney Moyer
    Digital Strategist
    Conservation Law Foundation
    Boston, MA

• 2.  RE: Acquisition marketing platforms

Posted Feb 21, 2018 13:20
    Hi Sydney,

I don't have any experience in this. Is there anyone in the group that could provide some insight?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sarah Meyer Hughes
    Manager, Analytics and Innovation
    American Dental Association
    Chicago, IL
    Community Organizer, NTEN Digital Communications Group

• 3.  RE: Acquisition marketing platforms

Posted Mar 03, 2018 11:57
    You probably already know all of this but here's my take.

Acquisition campaigns are more likely to succeed when you understand what your target audience is looking for. Sounds simple but it's harder than it seems. You can survey them (don't call it a survey) with a single open ended question. Learn more about this technique by getting Ryan Levesque's free book The Ask Method.

If you have a good analytics framework in place you can mine data that will help you determine what they want. Then you can craft lead magnets and landing pages like PDFs or quizzes based on the favored content or topics. These lead magnets will get you an email address and a name (optional).

If you send out a regular newsletter, you can segment your contacts based on the interactions with your email. This allows you to refine the content you send to them and in turn, informs your lead magnet content for new acquisitions. Good email content can also lead to forwards/sharing.

Visibility for the lead magnet landing pages is typically done through social media (ads and/or posts). Plan to run the campaign for several weeks so any ad algo (I'm thinking Facebook here) has time to optimize ad delivery and gain visibility. You can use print (and other) advertising too but the URL you use should be short and memorable. I personally don't like double click but I know it's pretty good with retargetting so it can be very useful.

We use ActiveCampaign. Not a full blown CRM but provides enough information for our needs at this point.

HTH

Gregg Banse
    Director of Marketing & Business Development
    Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
    Vergennes, Vermont
    http://www.lcmm.org
    https://greggbanse.com

• 4.  RE: Acquisition marketing platforms

Posted Mar 09, 2018 13:50
    My advice to Syndey would be consider acquisition platforms such as Care2 and/or Change.org, where you'll likely find better issue affinity with your organization's mission, which will result in better ROI, and longer retention on your file.

Best,
    Michael Stein
    OakwoodDigital.net

Michael Stein
    Digital Strategist
    Oakwood Digital
    Orinda, CA