Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Goals, KPIs and Targets

• 1.  Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 16, 2019 16:08
    Hi all

I was wondering if:

1) Folks have any links and resources they can share on the topic of setting goals, KPIs and targets for digital operations of nonprofits. I am interested in resources people have found useful in setting their own goals, KPIs and targets for their digital operations

2) Folks would be interested in chatting with me over the phone, Skype or Google Hangout about this topic. If you are a digital marketing manager for a nonprofit org who has set digital goals, KPIs and targets for your organization, I'd love to speak with you and find out more on your approach

Thanks

------------------------------
    Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 20, 2019 12:42
    @Redante Asuncion-Reed this might be worth cross-posting to the data group since it hasn't gotten a response yet here.

BJ Wishinsky
    Inclusive Communication for Social Good
    Mountain View, CA

• 3.  RE: Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 20, 2019 12:44
    Thanks BJ! Will do

Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 26, 2019 12:48
    I actually started with Google. I read up on many popular KPI's to understand a bit more about data collection and the possibilities. This helped me to understand the _why_ around KPI's and Metrics. That _why_ gave me what I needed to create my own.

My major takeaways were: A metric is a measurement. A KPI is an analyzing of metrics that help you make decisions. Making KPIs just to be tracking something won't help you unless you're deliberately working backward to engineer data gathered for a specific goal.

Set some goals, or identify places where goals need to be set. i.e. conversions on a donation page.
    Figure out what metric you gather regularly to give you an indication of success. i.e. Number of visits vs submissions.
    Implement a change to try and improve the metric. Your KPI is your ideal goal for this metric i.e. 45% conversion rate.
    Track the metric week to week to see if there is any impact in moving the needle towards your KPI goal.
    rinse wash repeat
    This same process works for minimum thresholds and other Performance Indicators.

I hope this is not oversimplified and that I understood your question. My advice would be to start with your goals and build up from there :)

While many KPI's are common, like Gross Margin, Net Profit, etc. Most are (and should be!) personalized to your business.

Kimberly Lipari
    CEO, CoFounder
    Valet.io
    Distributed

kim@valet.io

• 5.  RE: Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 26, 2019 15:32
    Many thanks Kimberly! This is very useful feedback.

I have an idea of our organization's business goals. I also have a good idea of metrics that are appropriate to use to measure progress towards those goals.

To gauge how we are doing on audience engagement, for example, I look at: Average Session Duration, Bounce Rate, Sessions, Sessions per User, Pageviews, Pages per Session, the distribution of Page Depth and Session Duration, and conversions: PDF Downloads and Email Signups. That may seem like a lot but I find I am able to perceive patterns and see things more clearly that way. If I observe a similar pattern across multiple metrics, it makes it easier to confirm whether or not what I am observing is true for the site as a whole.

I am having a mental block on two fronts:

(1) Do I set goals for each of these metrics? But there's a lot of them. How do I pick which ones are most relevant to my big-picture business goals? They all seem relevant and it is hard to say one or the other is a better indicator of success.

I Googled and read many articles that say to focus on no more than 5-6 KPIs to set a goal for. I have more that I regularly look at and am finding it hard to narrow it down to 5-6 essential ones.

(2) Once I select only 5-6 essential KPIs, how do I set the goal? Should I aim for what seems like an achievable number or percentage point and which we tend to hit every quarter and have done so for the past year or so? Aim a little bit higher?

I am curious about how other digital managers have approached these questions.

Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 27, 2019 08:42
    One thought I had was to pick certain pages to set up the goal for, rather than the entire site. I have been very frustrated in the past with goals based on avg session duration or pages per visit, because it's taking into account all site pages....very hard to move the needle. But you could do so if it was just one page or one section you were focusing on. We have certain topics that are of particular importance in a given year, and so those are the pages we focus on.

Hope that helps,
    Sarah

• 7.  RE: Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 27, 2019 13:11
    Hi Sarah

I think you are on to something! Yes, I can see this working. What frustrates me about setting goals for sitewide KPIs is exactly as you said -- it is hard to move the needle sitewide. If we are doing a campaign or making some sort of change that can have a measurable effect, these changes are usually only measurable on a certain page, set of pages, or a section of the site.

How do you think this approach sounds?

1) Set KPIs according to three criteria based on organizational goals: (a) awareness, (b) engagement, (c) action

2) Set sitewide KPIs that we will observe and measure on a regular basis but WILL NOT set goals for. These are metrics that indicate overall health of the website and which will reveal trends and patterns in awareness, engagement and action across channels and devices.

3) Identify pages, sections of the site, or sets of pages that are part of campaigns or are mission-critical. For these pages we will set quantitative goals for awareness, engagement and action KPIs. These pages or sections will be measured according to these benchmarks and we will also be able to easily document activities we do (e.g. google adwords campaigns) that affect these pages.

Thanks

Redante Asuncion-Reed
    Washington DC

• 8.  RE: Goals, KPIs and Targets

Posted Aug 27, 2019 14:48

Yes, your overall approach is sound, I like it.

I just discussed this with my boss, and she brought up a good point that the metric you're aiming for (we do a range) depends on the content. If its been in decline for the last year, turning around a 1% increase could be considered a win. Alternatively, you might be able to capitalize more on another topic that has been increasing in interest. They would have different metrics for success.

Good luck! Sarah

Sarah Meyer Hughes  hughess@ada.org
    Manager, Analytics & Innovation
    Center for Professional Success

American Dental Association  211 E. Chicago Ave.  Chicago,  IL 60611  www.ADA.org  Success.ADA.org