Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.
  • 1.  Storytelling Resources

Posted Sep 05, 2019 16:33
    Hello Digital Communications Community!
    As @Sarah Meyer Hughes​​ mentioned, we wanted to spend time this month discussing Storytelling.
    NTEN has a wealth of resources on storytelling already.
    Here are links to collaborative notes from 19NTC sessions about storytelling:

Here's a link to the storytelling section on the Connect blog.

Let's start the conversation by discussing: What are some of the challenges you or your organization face when it comes to storytelling?

For me (and I know I'm not alone), the toughest struggle is hearing about the stories to be able to tell them. I work for a teachers association with 47,000 members, so there are SO MANY STORIES we could be telling -- it's just how do I, sitting at a desk in the middle of the state, find out about what our members across the state are doing?

Our department is continually working with the staff members who have regular touch points with our members to coach them to be able to recognize stories so they can pass them along to us when they see it. A resource that has been valuable to me as I try to overcome this is from a  a session at 17NTC (led by @Lisa Dove ​and @Angela Crist) that was about turning your entire staff into storytellers. I highly recommend checking out those collaborative notes​. (Slide 21 of the slide deck has a great template for a worksheet you can hand out to team members to get them thinking about the stories that are around them.)

What about you? What are some storytelling challenges you face? If you've overcome a challenge, what was it, and how did you do it?

------------------------------
    Kara Potter
    Missouri State Teachers Association
    Columbia, MO
    Community Organizer, NTEN Digital Communications Group
    ------------------------------
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline