Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

NTC Recap and Takeaways

• 1.  NTC Recap and Takeaways

Posted Mar 21, 2019 10:40
    Hello! It was wonderful meeting many of you in Portland! Thanks to everyone who stopped by our Birds of a Feather tables. We had some great lunchtime conversations.
    Also, a special thanks to @Kristy Hayter and @Katie Call for facilitating the Connect session. We'll be sharing notes from that session soon!

The collaborative notes are a great way to refresh your memory on workshops you attended, or a place to see the slides and notes from sessions you weren't able to attend. @Tristan Penn shared a link to a Google Drive folder that has ALL the collaborative notes in it from #19NTC, so one million points to Tristan! 19NTC: Collaborative Notes - Google Drive

One of my favorite things about NTC is I come home with some actionable takeaways. Let's share some of the things we learned that we plan to put to use in our organizations.

I'll start! The last session I was able to attend was called Staying Sharp: How to Create and Implement Great Ideas. The session talked about ways to generate ideas to put to use in your organization. It also included a worksheet (linked in the collaborative notes) to help you articulate the big things when pitching an idea: what is the plan, what resources will it take, what problem does it solve, who does it help, how will you measure it, etc.
    I think the idea generating process will be helpful, but I'm definitely going to print out the script to put near my desk as a quick way to boil down an idea to the main components so I can think through those things before sharing with others or deciding to try to implement something.

​​How about you? What else did we learn in Portland? How are you putting it to use?

------------------------------
    Kara Potter
    Missouri State Teachers Association
    Columbia, MO
    Community Organizer, NTEN Digital Communications Group
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: NTC Recap and Takeaways

Posted Mar 21, 2019 11:29
    Edited by Kristy Hayter Mar 21, 2019 11:30

It was so great to connect with folks at Birds of a Feather and at the Connect session!

My big take away and what I will be working on next year will be being more strategic with our online monthly donors. 

Cheers,

Kristy Hayter
    Associate Manager, Digital Marketing
    Covenant House Vancouver
    Vancouver, BC

• 3.  RE: NTC Recap and Takeaways

Posted Apr 29, 2019 16:59
    Hi everyone! Attached below are the notes from the 19NTC: Digital Communications Community Connect Session. Thanks to @Kristy Hayter for leading the discussion and everyone who attended and contributed thoughts and questions.

19NTC: Digital Communications Community Connect Session
    • Netsquared 501 tech group? Is there a group like this in Salt Lake?
    • Communications with youth
      • How do kids like to communicate with each other?
      • For work with organizations that interact with children, how can staff communicate safely, privately and effectively? 
      • Schools in Texas use something called Remind - can send out text alerts, push information to student's phones
      • Monthly newsletter for teens, both parents and kids, can read
      • Facebook is also used but not as utilized by younger kids
    • Key takeaways from 19NTC:
      • Many useful resources to be aware of
      • What's the difference between a lightbox and a modul? 
      • Using a lightbox to grow an email list
      • Having a clear call to action or ask 
    • Cyber security - how much do "they" know about you online? 
      • Tracking activity, interest online
    • Managing a communications channel - programming, action alerts, membership initiatives 
      • Is it ok to send more than one email per day? 
      • Metrics on open rates, click through, unsubscribes
      • Polling people on if they feel they're receiving too many emails
        • Even with complaints, emails do work
        • Helpful to clearly identify which part of the organization is sending the email?
      • Messaging on action emails - can't always be an emergency, need to have occasional positive stories 
    • Communication calendar - letting multiple channels/departments have time to share their messages
    • National vs local level of large organizations (eg: National Audubon Society)
      • Goal is to implement a hard push for monthly donors
      • Sustainers want to know about outcomes - share positive stories as exclusive content via digital channels
      • Jab, Jab, Jab, Hook - show value, value, value and then ask for a donation.
        • Value should come fist, take them on a journey
    • Podcast session
      • LinkedIn learning course on how to begin a podcast - really good technical information
      • More personal and intimate way to engage with brand, not as outwardly social as Facebook or Instagram
      • Many new podcasters use Patreon for revenue stream
    • Really liked the tactical sessions - short 30 minute content
      • Very quick, nice easy topics
      • Using your phone for marketing - one of the best tactical sessions 
      • Google Analytics, Click Click Done - Tips to clean up data, filters to remove data that you don't need (like staff visits & bots)
      • Chat bots to increase advocacy, join contact list
    • Topics for future discussion in the Digital Communications Community
      • Where are people getting benchmark numbers from? Email open rates? 
        • Care2, hjc & NTEN released the 2019 Digital Outlook Report 
        • M+R yearly report
        • Hootsuite - Country specific, top searches in country
      • Examples of different types of campaigns - moving someone from engaged to donor
      • User Experience - improving experience for users on websites

[Katie] [Call]
    [Manager, Digital Media & Educational Content]
    [American Dental Association]
    [Chicago], [IL]

• 4.  RE: NTC Recap and Takeaways

Posted Apr 30, 2019 10:18
    Hey Everyone!

I really enjoyed meeting many of you at the conference and will definitely be back.  Thanks so much to the staff for organizing such a well run conference.  It is hard to believe it has already been over a month!  Here is a summary of my takeaways from 19NTC.

Top 8 Takeaways from the 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference

Andy Johnson
    Vice President of Analytics
    MarkeTeam
    Atlanta, GA