Nonprofit Digital Communications

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

For those doing digital strategy work, including written or multimedia content for nonprofit websites, social media, and e-newsletters. This group is for those digital communications folks who create written or multimedia content for websites, social media, and e-newsletters for nonprofits. Members will discuss topics such as social media trends, digital analytics, developing content, storytelling, planning and resources, content strategy, and more.

Ephemeral content?

• 1.  Ephemeral content?

Posted Apr 29, 2019 14:26
    Hi all,
    Has anyone here used Facebook Stories or Instagram Stories for their nonprofit?
    From what I've been reading and hearing, FB wants to increase usage of Stories and Messaging, while making the news feed less important (or less robust?)
    Could you please share what you've tried, or share your procedure for uploading stories (since it looks like the task may only be performed via mobile)?
    Thanks for your insights! Tricia

------------------------------
    Tricia Maddrey BakerSocial Media/Communications Manager-Bethesda, MD
    pronouns she/her
    Always Moving Forward
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Ephemeral content?

Posted Apr 29, 2019 15:11
    Hi @Tricia Maddrey Baker!
    My association has used stories in a pretty limited fashion so far. One way we've used them is to highlight content that we might not necessarily have room for on our social calendar otherwise. We also experimented with splitting up our weekly legislative newsletter into some slides to add to our social stories.
    Social Takeovers by a member, volunteer, or staff members are also something you could do. Using Instagram's "Highlights" feature can also capture the things you want to keep visible on your page.
    I'm not responsible for scheduling our posts, so I'm not entirely sure if you can schedule stories or not. I do think Instagram has to be done natively. Facebook I know you can add to your story from a desktop, but I don't think you can schedule that out. I could be mistaken, though.
    I'm curious to see how others are using Stories!

Kara Potter
    Missouri State Teachers Association
    Columbia, MO
    Community Organizer, NTEN Digital Communications Group

• 3.  RE: Ephemeral content?

STAFF
    Posted Apr 29, 2019 17:07
    Hi @Tricia Maddrey Baker!

I just recently took over NTEN's Instagram Account and I really enjoy the stories feature for Instagram. There are a lot of cool tricks/tools/functions that are available to use when making stories (Tagging the location, tagging other IG accounts, adding music, polling your audience, gathering answers to questions, going live with video , Adding Gifs, emojis and much more). The stories are only available for 24 hours unless you add them to your accounts highlights (stories that you want to still be seen after 24 hours). I'm building out our stories/highlights section to our account and so far I've added the Staff highlight/Story. Check out the NTEN IG account and see what you think.

Would love to talk more about IG with you!

Tristan Penn (pronouns: he/him)
    Community Engagement & Equity Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8761
    tristan@nten.org
    nten.org | @NTENorg | Instagram: @tmp729

• 4.  RE: Ephemeral content?

Posted Apr 30, 2019 07:27

Hi Tristan!

Glad to know that NTEN is using stories. (I don't see them because I only look at my personal account on the weekends, sorry to say!)  The thing that I need to be able to do is to post stories from the desktop. We don't have any "company" phones, so using mine directly for that would be an issue. We use Hootsuite, which can post to IG, but can't do stories on either FB or Instagram.

I'd love to know more about how useful you are finding IG Stories! Thanks for your feedback!

All the best,

Tricia

Tricia Maddrey Baker

Social Media and Communications Manager

The Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation

(301) 279-7202 Extension 133

Answers, Support, Hope